AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently home for thanksgiving and still havent finished watching all my movies again, and i came across some bad quality DVDs. First my setup isnt perfect, or anywhere close for that matter. but i put in stargate (free promo dvd... those were the days) and the quality was horrible, i then put in the godfather and it seemed too "digital" on dark scenes... (pixelization in blacks) then i got really scared and started to worry, so i put in lethal weapon 4 (another free one) but everything looked good again. anyone else have a similarly shocking experience like that?

and anyone have a list of good transfers, i know i came across a web page once just cant find it again.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
DVD transfers vary significantly. We could be speaking the same language if you have some of the good ones.

Lost In Space

Hollow Man ( Superbit is Better but the original is great)

The Fifth Element ( again SB is better but original looks great )

The Pledge

Das Boot

Shrek

Toy Story I and II

Thirteen Ghosts

Desperado superbit

I can vouch for these. If they look bad then it could be your set up.

Art

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I watched LW4 not too long ago. It has decent detail but also some horrendous edge enhancement and there are visible compression artifacts and medium/distance shots look soft. Many old dvd's are just utter crap but it doesn't show until you watch them on a projector.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi

You're probably well aware of the fact that a lot of digital compression artifacts are "hidden" in the darker areas of the picture.

If your projected image is on the bright side these artifacts will be much more apparent.

Having said that, some transfers are definitely not as good as they could be.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.