AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I think to be a bad tuner. I get a good strong signal on one tuner, but not the other. I did a reset , left it unplugged for a while, that did nothing. Yet I'm not sure. I was given the web site below for a guy who works in repair. He has an article titled "Searching for a Sat Signal" According to him the problem could be either a diode or a transister. He gives instruction in the article on how to test to see if it's the diode or the transister. My question is how do you tell if it's the tuner itself? Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.mrwhitesjtag.com/pages/home.html

·
Registered
311 Posts
Your Utv is a different beast altogether....

They were showing a RCA 420 or something like that...

You can still do the test with a multimeter at the sat in coax like the artical said...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it apart, and looked under the little covers, man those parts are small. I thought I better NOT to touch anything. Now, heres the weird part. I put the cover back on, plugged everything back in, started it up, now both tuners work. After reading elsewhere on this site about heat build up. I decided to try setting it up a couple of inches on little blocks to try and allow more air around the bottom. Seemed to work okay. Was okay for about a day until I did this. Frist I checked the PIP mode, had good picture on both tuners. I was watching a movie and wanted to start recording another one before the one I was watching ended. (Well, that is the advantage of having two tuners) Anyway, it was going fine for about 10 minutes, then I hit the PIP button on the remote to see what was happening. That worked fine the first time, but when I did it again, and the tuner quit working, and popped over to the channel it was recording. Now the 2nd tuner is out again. So what does anyone think? Could it truly be a heat build up problem due to trying to do a recoding while watching another channel? Or could there be some kind of software glitch? When I unplug it for awhile and plug it back in, both tuners are back working. If it's a heat problem, why is it cropping up now? It's been fine for a couple of years now. I wonder what part it's affecting? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same thing is happening to me. Tuner #2 starting failing about 2 weeks ago. I just signed up for DTV's equipment protection plan. There's month waiting period before you can report a failure, so I using one tuner for the next month.

I disconnected the cable from the dish multiswitch to the tuner so that the UTV box will report recording conflicts. The wife was really mad when her favorite show didn't record correctly because the tuner stopped working during the show.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I left for work this morning I turned it off for a bit, then turned it back on, and I had both tuners working when I left. If they are working when I get home tonight, I'm gonna try a cooling fan on the unit just to see if it really may be a heat problem. Will post back when I have more info.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a duel LNB, so you're saying if I discounnt one cable, things will go okay? The reason I ask is that when I have two shows that are recording, let's say one from 8-9 and the other from 9-10, the 9-10 one doesn't make it, cause the UTV tries to use the other tuner. If I disconnect the 2nd cable this will sort of tell the unit to use just the one tuner? Does that sound about right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.