AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Relatively new here.. but this thread is just great for all to gain knowledge.
Mike (AVS), Can you share some pics of crossover as well?

I am not at all skilled to do even a speaker cabinet myself, but this thread .. well I would like to have something similar for my dedicated room.

·
Premium Member
14,868 Posts
Relatively new here.. but this thread is just great for all to gain knowledge.
Mike (AVS), Can you share some pics of crossover as well?

I am not at all skilled to do even a speaker cabinet myself, but this thread .. well I would like to have something similar for my dedicated room.
No pics of the crossover as Mike is using an "Active" setup. Actually, his crossover would look identical to the MiniDSP 10x10 :D as that is what he uses to create his XO points.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No pics of the crossover as Mike is using an "Active" setup. Actually, his crossover would look identical to the MiniDSP 10x10 :D as that is what he uses to create his XO points.
:eek:My bad.. I did read it earlier today but slipped. Am in awe of his setup

Thanks for pointing it out to me tho :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Interestingly, I'm planning on a speaker build this spring using these exact drivers.....even going to use a 10x10 to cross over...and I've even been looking at the xli 800s instead of my current hodgepodge of amplifiers.

Small world :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you have 2' of space above the ceiling, I would just suck it up and crawl through the insulation and run the wire. It will be a pain to do, but I have run wiring in worse places.
Agreed. In the world of "crawling through crap to run wires" 2 feet of space is a football field. 14' is CAKE.

Put on old clothes, tuck pants into boots, wear goggles, dustmask and gloves and go for it. This protective gear is not optional and you will hate yourself if you try to do it without it. Word to the wise there.

I'm about to walk through my attic through about 12" of blown insulation, stepping over rafters, wires and pipes, while hopefully NOT putting my foot through the ceilings below, over about a 50' span to run wire for my 4th sub. I've put it off for weeks, but this weekend, it's time to pay the piper. :/

·
Registered
30,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 · (Edited)
About to move the 18" sub under my center speaker to the back of the room. This requires a new box. Then I can install the third and last TD18H+ so that the center channel is a matching 3-way to the right and left main. Then I will be able to make the curved grill to cover the TD18H+'s or grills (have not decided yet) so all speakers will be hidden up front. Should have the sub finished in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
30,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Mal-X now in the back of the room and the last TD18H+ for the center channel is in place. Now I just have to build the grills.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
Super clean mike! So now, you have the TD18H supplementing the bass freqs down to what? and then the rear long throw type subs take care of the ULF?
The LCR's cover down to 40hz. I have a couple 18's in the baffle wall and two 18's in the back (REXXX and Mal-X). I am pulling out the TC Sounds 12's that I had at the back of the room. Not sure what I am going to do with those drivers. They are really nice prototypes that TC Sounds built. They have full copper sleeves and 30mm+ of X-max. Maybe I will build a dual opposed and place in family room.

·
Registered
30,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 · (Edited)
Grills made and in place. Hard to take a picture. My lights are right above the screen. Increasing the light output, makes the screen brighter, which in turn made the black panels not show up. Closed screen masking and that helped to reduce the brightness of the screen. Now I have a completely clean look up front. Made them out of three panels, so that I could follow the curve of the screen somewhat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Measurement of speaker. Here is what Face2 had to say about it.

"Slight narrowing between 2-3k, but that's the price you pay to make this ribbon sound best, IMO. Fortunately AE's woofers are very clean, this wouldn't have worked with any other 12's that I'm aware of."

Though I am running this active, I also have a passive crossover design. :)
I know you are using the minds and doing active xo's, but in the post above it was mentioned a passive crossover could be available. Was a passive xo ever developed? These drivers and a passive xo is exactly what I'm wanting for my next theater build.

·
Registered
30,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
I know you are using the minds and doing active xo's, but in the post above it was mentioned a passive crossover could be available. Was a passive xo ever developed? These drivers and a passive xo is exactly what I'm wanting for my next theater build.
Shoot me a PM or email with your email address.

321 - 340 of 364 Posts