AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVSers,

I need you expertise on solving an issue that has me ripping out my hair!

Up until today, I’ve had the following setup at home:

IBM C400 projector (VGA / DVI-I)
JVX RX-D702 Receiver

My PC (HD 5770)

I do not own a TV and use my PC to output a DVI signal to my projector while running a USB cable to a Creative X-Fi and then optical SPDIF to the receiver. As you can probably guess, this created a mess in my living room with cables. Although I ran the DVI to the projector through raceways up to the ceiling, the sound cables were going through an awkward place under the rug.

Being a fan of certain console games I decided to spoil myself and bought an Xbox 360 recently. I took this as a great opportunity to rearrange the cabling in my living room and add raceways to the receiver to get the following setup:

PC -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI to DVI cable -> Projector

XBOX-> HDMI ->

This made complete sense as I could output both sound and video to the receiver and sent it back to the projector. I forked out $100 after delivery and got a 50ft HDMI cable (24 AWG) , a 35 ft HDMI to DVI cable (24 AWG), a 3ft (24 AWG) HDMI cable , and just in case threw in a DVI->HDMI converter .

The shipment arrived to my work today and I left 30 mins early to pimp out my living room so I can play countless sessions of Fifa 2011 with my friends on a 120” screen.

I was worried that the length of the cables would kill my signal, so before tucking the cables into the raceways, I connected each of them to the HDMI output on my Radeon and tested them on the Projector. It worked. Stupidly enough, I assumed that I’m good to go and started putting the cables into the raceway. I removed the old DVI cable from the raceways and proceeded to lay down the new HDMI cables.

My receiver has 2 HDMI input and 1 output. PC and XBOX went in, projector went out.

I turn on my XBOX and I get sound, but no image is going to the projector. I try the same thing with my PC assuming it’s a resolution issue. Again, no video.

At this point I’m thinking I must have bent the HDMI-DVI cable too much in one of the corners and I attach a DVI extension to the end of it and plug it into my monitor. My monitor gets a signal.

What is odd though is that my XBOX won’t let me up the resolution above 480p.

Now I connect the XBOX to my receiver using an HD component cable, still, the projector doesn’t receive the signal. I connect to my monitor and while I’m again at 480p, I can select other resolutions up to 1080p but none of them work resulting in a blank screen.

I connect the XBOX directly to the projector via HDMI->DVI and again, nothing.

I connect the XBOX HDMI-DVI to my monitor and it works with the XBOX running it at full res (1680x1050).

I spent the entire evening fiddling with the receiver but nothing is working the way I planned it out.

Is this a HDCP issue? Why won’t the XBOX let me output higher resolutions to my receiver at least? It’s HDCP compliant... My projector is pretty old (2004ish) but why is the XBOX not detecting the receiver as an HD device?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vitaly

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
So, 360 to projector with a short HDMI to DVI cable fails? Sounds like your older projector is failing at HDCP. Is it spec'd for HDCP compliance? That sounds like just about the time period right before HDCP became mainstream.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, your projector is probably failing at 720p/1080i HDMI because in accepts 1024x768 as it's maximum input resolution. Yes, the projector is technically High Definition-ish, but it doesn't look to conform to the HD video standards. Have you ever plugged in something like a HD cable box, Bluray player, or upscaling DVD player in to it at 720p/1080i to confirm?

Your component video problem is probably a combination of a resolution and color space issue. Page 5-3 of your manual tells you how to change it to the desired YPbPr. You are using, what, a component to vga to dvi-i adapter to get component in to the projector? Component may also be a resolution issue. I haven't seen yet in the manual where your projector actually supports 720p/1080i. It almost certainly won't do 1080p, being from 2004. Also, looking in the manual it looks like the VGA port is for output (routed from the analog of the DVI-I input). So if you are feeding a component-to-vga adapter in to the vga out, that would cause a failure.

Back to DVI-I. That means you can feed VGA in to the thing with a VGA-to-DVI-I adapter. VGA out of the 360 in to that would probably be your best option in general, and will likely lead to the best quality and most stable signal. As an added bonus, you'll be able to output the projector's native resolution of 1024x768 at 4:3 or 16:9. I don't know how your projector handles 16:9, as the manual just says that it's a selectable option. It may just take incoming 16:9 and display it as 1024x576 or something.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
ADDITIONAL: A 360 VGA cable is like $8 on monoprice.com

Also, if you have a regular VGA cable laying around, do yourself a favor and use it to hook your PC up to the projector, just to test whether that VGA port on the back of the projector is an input or an output. The manual says it's an out, which would make sense. Then you could hook any DVI or VGA item you want up to the DVI-I port, and passthrough the video to a VGA-accepting monitor for use at a desk when you didn't need the projector. At least, that is the reasoning that I could see for a business-class projector such as the one in question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the prompt response.

Lets clarify some things

I never actually plugged anything into the DVI port of the projector except a PC / laptop. But I'm sure it would handle the Res. It can display 1280x1024 and it notifies me when a res is out of range. Either way, I can test any res.

When I said component I meant the red green blue RCA cables. Xbox

-> receiver -> monitor.

I'm ok with making ammends with the lack of DHCP on the projector but why is it when I connect my monitor to the receiver the res caps at 480?

Lastly, using the VGA out would be redundant as I have an extra DVI and HDMI outs on the vcard - no reason to run cables back and forth.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"using the VGA out would be redundant as I have an extra DVI and HDMI outs on the vcard"

Right, but the projector comes from an era where almost every PC only had a single video output. I wasn't recommending that you hook anything up to the VGA-output on the projector. I was just telling you the reasoning as to why it probably isn't a VGA-input.

"It can display 1280x1024 and it notifies me when a res is out of range."

No, it can display 1024x768. It will just accept 1280x1024 and downscale it. This is very common for the era, having a scaling processor on the input that accepted 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and nothing else. Again, going through the manual, there is no mention of 720p or 1080i.

"I can test any res."

So set your PC to spit out 1280x720 over DVI, and see what happens.

"why is it when I connect my monitor to the receiver the res caps at 480?"

Because the projector reports to the receiver that it only accepts 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024. The Xbox only spits out (roughly) 640x480, 1280x720, 1920x540 and 1920x1080 over component. Since the only matching resolution on both sides of the receiver is 640x480, that's what the receiver restricts everything to, as it should.

So, to clarify: Pick up a cheap Xbox 360 VGA cable and optionally a long VGA cable. Get a VGA-to-DVI-I adapter. Both can be had cheap on Monoprice. Hook the 360 up to the projector and set the 360 to 1024x768 4:3. All of your 360 display problems should be solved, and it will likely be the optimal settings for your gear. You can then worry about HDMI when you update your projector some time down the road.

This then leaves you with the problem of "two device want that single port". Hmm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/19538193

No, it can display 1024x768. It will just accept 1280x1024 and downscale it. This is very common for the era, having a scaling processor on the input that accepted 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and nothing else. Again, going through the manual, there is no mention of 720p or 1080i.

"I can test any res."

So set your PC to spit out 1280x720 over DVI, and see what happens.

I tested it and it works. The projector can accept practically any resolution up to 1280x1024 as long as it is within the allowed refresh rate.

Quote:

"why is it when I connect my monitor to the receiver the res caps at 480?"

Because the projector reports to the receiver that it only accepts 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024. The Xbox only spits out (roughly) 640x480, 1280x720, 1920x540 and 1920x1080 over component. Since the only matching resolution on both sides of the receiver is 640x480, that's what the receiver restricts everything to, as it should.

I really do appreciate the help, but please read my post.

I connected the monitor to the receiver instead of the projector. Why would the XBOX not allow any other resolutions going to my monitor ?

Remember that when I plugged the XBOX directly to the monitor, it gave me a laundry list of resolutions.

Quote:

So, to clarify: Pick up a cheap Xbox 360 VGA cable and optionally a long VGA cable. Get a VGA-to-DVI-I adapter. Both can be had cheap on Monoprice. Hook the 360 up to the projector and set the 360 to 1024x768 4:3. All of your 360 display problems should be solved, and it will likely be the optimal settings for your gear. You can then worry about HDMI when you update your projector some time down the road.

This then leaves you with the problem of "two device want that single port". Hmm.

I still want to use my receiver to output to my projector. Is that possible at all? I also have HD component out on the receiver.

Thanks again,

Vitaly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.