AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of bag end 3 Way speakers AF1-R and a pair of subs D18E-R, mains about $500 each, subs about $600 each.
Any experience on the suitability of these for a high efficiency home theatre main and mbm subs? I know I will need true subs for the ULF.

How do they sound? Couldn't find much info on them, except that a ton of their infra subs was used to mix the black hawk down soundtrack..

I've been lusting after the Seos builds, but it's going to be tough to get kits out here in Singapore. How would the mids and highs of the bag end 3way sound - hifi, or cheap and cheerful PA sound?

Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Used to sell Bag End Infra18 for Ht and thought they were great. By todays standards they have fairly low output but a pair in a normal sized room were pretty good. You should be able to find some older reviews online to get some measurements. Have no experience with any of their mains.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Never heard their speakers. But I owned two Bagend Infrasub 18s. Their sound quality was superb. One of the best sounding sub's I've ever owned. Their one drawback is their output. For music they would be great. For a 2 channel system they would be superb. For home theater you might want to look elsewhere

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. The AF1-R is xo at 3.3khz. I was looking at spec sheet of AF1B-R which is xo at 1.9khz. Also the D18E-R is dual 18" sealed in 3cuft, passive. Does not come with the ELF integrator. So if I drove it with a normal amp channel without Eq, it would only extend to - 3db point of 60Hz native sealed tuning. If I add Eq using a minidsp, then I can figure out the low extension corner for the linkwitz transform, taking into account the available xmax and power handling? The published sensitivity is 100db at 80hz, 2.83v at 1m, 4 ohm.
So the lower I tune it with the LT, the lower the max spl. I'm OK with that, but does a LT to increase the low frequency corner also increase the THD? I read that the infrasub 18 had quite high THD at low frequency , but the overtones were 'not objectionable' according to the reviewer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Late to the party, but I bottomed the woofers out within the first 60 seconds of demo music. pointless to buy a sub that does that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts