Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like this movie very much.

I have watched the DVD a couple of times and enjoyed it both times.

The picture quality of the DVD is stellar and one of the best ever.

The HBO presentation is even better then that.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0146984

Frank

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yeah I really like this movie also. No suprise tonights presentation looks good I suppose since it wasnt 2.35:1 to begin with.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Wow - Frank actually praising a recent HBO production!?
It looks fantastic!

If 'The Patriot' is a 10, I give this a 50.

Praise to HBO and the fantastic HD series, 'Band of Brothers' and my favorite series, 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'.

Frank

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks good plus 5.1

I like Golf ...........

I usually play in the low 70's

If it gets any warmer I go swimming......:D

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Its cropped to 4x3 for me..... is it supposed to be cropped

edit.... nevermind i had it on ch 300 by accident....

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes, I love this film. It's a wonderful old-fashioned character story. A refreshing change of pace. But, darn it. Frank, you've got us all trained. I find myself thinking, "What will Frank say?" :) Watched long enough to decide it was worth a look at another time when I can catch it from the beginning.

·
Banned
992 Posts
I liked it better when it was called "The Natural".

:)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David_B
I liked it better when it was called "The Natural".

:)
Funny, I essentially told my wife the same thing....a young Redford wanabe, a kid batboy/caddy assistant, etc....but a great HD transfer.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Careful, guys. This may be a setup.

Frank is going to get everyone to agree this is great picture quality, then later prove it is actually an image constrained MPAA compliant format. This will really tick off the "Chicken Littles", but they will stick to their guns.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Didn't catch the HD version of "Bagger Vance" yet but I was very impressed with the DVD via a Radeon equipped HTPC.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Enjoyed the production. Via Time Warner Cable's Scientific Atlanta 2000HD converter, image fidelity seemed moderately good. (Discovered last summer, as I rapidly AB-ed 8-VSB versions of HBO films with those from my 2000HD, that the cable-converter versions have a faint 'fog' that diminishes the finest detail.) The sense I also had about "The Natural" as I watched "Bagger" was explained when the credits showed Robert Redford both co-produced and directed the film. As always, the OAR would be best. -- John

·
Registered
957 Posts
Frank doesn't need to suck us in to prove a point. I too thought Bagger Vance was a great transfer. I am very pleased with the quality and quantity of HD available today and it is only going to getting better.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Frank - are there any other SHO or HBO movies

that you think are better (in terms of PQ)

than "Bagger Vance"? How would you compare

it to "Star Trek Generations" for instance?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
are there any other SHO or HBO movies

that you think are better (in terms of PQ)

than "Bagger Vance"?
No.

Quote:
How would you compare

it to "Star Trek Generations" for instance?
[/quote] I like it much better then STG.

'Bagger Vance' has a very large depth of field with a very sharp focus throughout. I have seen other HBO films that looked just as sharp but sufferend from edge enhancement. An example would be 'The Last Emperor'. TLE might be somewhat sharper but the EE hurts the picture.

This film looks very sharp without the anoying exagerated edge contrast.

Frank

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i'll have to check it out on tuesday.

·
Registered
695 Posts
With nothing better to watch on Saturday, I flipped over to HBO-HD and decided to watch Baggar Vance. I had never seen it before, didn't know much about it. I typically try to stay away from the Bob Redford "artsy-fartsy" flicks, but since Will Smith was in this one (who I enjoy), I thought I'd give it a view. (BTW, was this Jack Lemmon's last film appearance?)

I thought it was great. PQ was what HD film is supposed to look like. I thought the dynamic range of the soundtrack had way too many ups and downs, but that's probably the way it was mixed. Since it was late night viewing and the kids were in bed, I cranked the center channel to keep the total sound down, which didn't give me much chance to hear anything from the rears.

I was curious about the AOR, since HBO is notorious for reformatting films to fit a 16x9 frame. But from I could tell, it didn't look like I was missing much. Everything was framed reasonably well. I particularly liked the camera shots of the main character "finding the field" and the shots from the ball's perspective. Interesting camera work!

All in all, I thought this was a great presentation. I hate to watch movies "just because they are in HD", but I wasn't disappointed this time. I wish all of HBO's HD presentations looked this good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.