AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bakersfield has two cable providers, Bright House Networks and Cox. Currently BHN offers the following HD programming:

HBO 1 HD

HBO 2 HD

Show 1 HD

Show 2 HD

Discovery HD

ESPN HD

NBC HD

ABC HD

InHD 1

InHD 2

HDNet

HDNet Movies

TNT HD

Cox currently offers:

HBO HD

Show HD

Discovery HD

ESPN HD

ABC HD

InHD 1

InHD 2

For OTA HD options locally:

KGET NBC 17.1

KBAK CBS 29.1

KERO ABC 10.1

KUVI UPN 55.1

KMPH Fox 26.1 (KMPH is still a couple of months away from HD broadcasts.

Their tower is roughly 90 miles from Bakersfield and

reception will be based on the antenna you use.)

The local CBS affiliate KBAK has not granted either BHN or Cox permission to retransmit their signal so the only way to receive CBS HD programming is OTA. Hopefully when KMPH Fox is up and running our cable companies will be able to retransmit.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
An interesting fly in this ointment:

Bakersfield does have its own Fox affiliate - KBFX-LP 58. It is owned and operated by Pappas, the same folks who own Fresno's KMPH. KBFX-LP, as the call letters suggest, is a "low power" station which will not be offering digital transmission any time soon.

It'll be interesting if Pappas/KMPH will allow the local cable systems in Bakersfield to pass KMPH-DT when it starts carrying HD programming. I don't know if KBFX is anything more than an LP repeater of KMPH, but it likely carries Bakersfield advertising.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an interesting point. I have been fortunate enought that I can pick up the KMPH signal OTA with my indoor antenna. It would be nice if they let the local affiliate pass the HD signal along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a quick question, I live in the 93312 zip code in Bakersfield CA. I haven't been receiving KMPH-DT but I really want to see the World Series in HD. Any suggestions on the best antenna to try and get it with. Where are you guys located who actually get this channel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KMPH 26 Fox does not broadcast any programming in HD currently. I was told they are in the process of upgrading their equipment and should be up and running in a couple of months (Hopefully by the Super Bowl). The only HD option for the World Series is possibly satellite. I receive the standard KMPH signal with a Terk-5 indoor antenna. I am in the 93312 area also, on Old Town Rd just west of Old Farm Rd.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is an email I received from the KMPH engineer.

Low Power stations conversion to DT (which allows for HD), is a subject that is finally being addressed by the FCC. Initially the FCC was not going to grant DT replacement channels for LPs. Now they will but they are still working out the details.

Jim Boston

Chief Engineer

KMPH/KFRE

This after I had emailed the emgineer at KBAK when the OTA signal went out.

We apologize for your lack of HDTV. It is our highest prioirity right now to fix. Last week we had a failure with a module used in microwaving the TV signal from our station to the transmitter on Mt. Breckenridge. We are hoping to receive the replacement part by Thu or Fri and be back to normal by next week. This affects other operational things at our sation as well, but the biggest is our HD. Bare with us.

As far as FOX, all those decisions come out Fresno with KMPH. They provide the programs, networking, TV signals and such. I know it is on their agenda but I do not know the timetable. The phone number to call is 324-2600. The Chief Engineer there is named Jim Boston, his assistant is named Carleton Simmons, hopefully they can help you.

Good luck. And once again I am very sorry about the HD.

Pete Capra

My biggest issue currently is the strength of the KBAK signal. I live in Rio Bravo and sometimes the signal drops to about a 50. Do any of you use a booster on your antenna?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I may have to amplify my signal too. The other stations come in at around 90-95 and KBAK is normally around 70. My issue is when it drops to between 35 & 50. I'm not sure what causes that, but by looking up the stations I have discovered that KBAK is at 110 kW versus the 135 kW at KGET & 250 kW at KUVI. KERO is listed at 4.6KW in test mode, so I think the information is inccorrect.

I have a Terk 5 that I used when I lived on Round Mountain Rd. I may have to break it out again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any Bright House customers that have successfully had a cable card installed? I had a tech come out last week but he was unable to activate it. It did not appear that he was very knowledgeable. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
BTW, don't hold your breath on the digital conversion of KBFX-LP (FOX).

As the KMPH engineer noted in the E-Mail quoted above, the FCC is just now getting around to addressing the digital conversion issues for LPTV stations. That likely means that even if Pappas/KMPH/KBFX-LP is itching to go digital on 58, you won't likely see it for a couple of years or so. Your best bet is likely picking up the existing KMPH-DT signal out of Fresno, and waiting for THEIR conversion to HDTV - probably by the Super Bowl, I'd say.

What you have going for you in B'field - KMPH and KMPH-DT are licensed to Visalia, in the southern end of the Fresno market. (Heck, even their co-owned KMPH-FM is licensed to Hanford, also in that part of the market.) It sounds like you folks in B'field have no problem picking up that signal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Below is a quote taken from todays Fresno Bee:

Clear picture: KMPH, Channel 26, general manager Charlie Pfaff says that if everything goes as planned, the local Fox affiliate will broadcast in high definition by the end of the month.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had no luck pulling in the local fox digital signal ota. I've tried different antennas. I wish that Bright House and FOX and CBS would get over whatever the hold up is and meet the needs of their customers. Both of these networks are low on my priority list for viewing because of this issue.

The good news is that I'm really enjoying the HD DVR that Bright House provides.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I defer to your knowledge on the matter. Once in an email a person from Fox indicated that I should be able to get their digital signal. My receiver has in the past tried to pull in channel 28. Is that the KMPH signal from the Visalia area? I live in the 93313 zip. I've also had issues with channel 29's signal, but I'm only using a rabbit ear setup right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, 28 is KMPH in Visalia. KBAK 29's signal has been pretty consistent but there was a time this fall they had some equipment problems and their HD signal was out for about two weeks.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just wanted to let you Bakersfield people know that I live in Exeter,Ca. It is about 65 miles north of Bakersfield and I receive all your digital stations perfectly with no drop outs or breakups. I have a large Channel Master

vhf/uhf antenna with a rotor and amplifier. So your stations must be broadcasting at full power.

Tom DiCecco

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am happy to finally report success with Bright House and an SA cable card with a Sony KDF-55WF655 TV. The CC was a version 2.3.148S2 OS with a build date of Tue Oct 19 2004. Now here's the kicker...it took 40 minutes after the CC was inserted until the MAC address and host ID showed. The tech stated that a Sharp took 5 minutes and a couple of Mitsubishi's that he had done were in the 10 minute range. Just glad to have it working!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just wondering if they're going to be hd by the time the Super Bowl

rolls around. I don't have any way to get it anyway. Bright House and Kmph & CBS get over yourselves and do the digital!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by mgh
Bright House and Kmph & CBS get over yourselves and do the digital!

When I lived on Round Mountain Rd the station that fought me on getting a waiver was channel 29. That was back when they were ABC. They also are still mono on their SD station and seem to be the slowest to spend money on their transmitter. They have the lowest power in the area and the worst signal.

There, I feel better now.

1 - 20 of 803 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.