AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a zone mixer. The only one I've found so far that fits my needs is the Samson S-Zone . It has "4 balanced aux/line inputs" and I have no idea what kind of outputs. I don't really understand what that means even after reading the Wikipedia article on Balanced audio .

My goal is to hook up a couple of computers (1/8" out) and a TV (RCA out) to some powered speakers (like the Z 23s ). I understand how the Euroblock connectors work, but is this thing designed to switch audio like this? Or am I supposed to hook amps up or something?

I've also looked at the Rolls RM64 , and while the input and output jacks are more what I'm expecting, the DIP switches turn me off as I plan to switch zones somewhat often.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SOLVED.

I have a pair of cables each with a 1/8" TRS connector at one end. The other ends have a stripped end for each conductor.

On the S-Zone's inputs, it's trivial to wire these up: Sleeve to Ground, Ring to Right, Tip to Left.

For the outputs, Tip to L+, Ring to R+, and Sleeve to everything else (L-, L Gnd, R-, R Gnd).

And it works. Fantastic piece of equipment. If you're in the market for a zone mixer, the S-Zone is a winner.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
^^^^

FWIW, that's what the manual shows to do for unbalanced output.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
True, the manual also states that they use electronically balanced outputs, so shorting one to ground is really not a good thing....but I'm not the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Depends on the topology. Some electronically balanced outs can deal with one out shorted to ground, some are designed to work that way, some just blow up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts