AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the balanced analog input signals are processed by Audyssey XT32 and the bass management DSPs? Since both functions are in the digital domain, this would require an ADC going in and a DAC going out.

I am interested in using a separate DAC but wonder if it is worth going thru these extra conversions.

Dennis

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I must elaborate on my previous post:

I auditioned a Lynx Hilo separate DAC with my Squeezebox feeding into it via the optical, digital output and routing the analog output from the Lynx into the Integra balanced analog inputs. I noticed an impressive increase in sound quality. I cannot understand why this can be so if it is going thru these extra conversions, and especially since the signal ultimately is reprocessed by the Integra ADCs and DACs anyways. Audyssey and bass management appeared to be working.

Stumped in Texas,

Dennis

ReplyQuote Multi

·
Registered
30,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsonic  /t/1418646/balanced-inputs-for-integra-80-3#post_22189186

I must elaborate on my previous post:

I auditioned a Lynx Hilo separate DAC with my Squeezebox feeding into it via the optical, digital output and routing the analog output from the Lynx into the Integra balanced analog inputs. I noticed an impressive increase in sound quality. I cannot understand why this can be so if it is going thru these extra conversions, and especially since the signal ultimately is reprocessed by the Integra ADCs and DACs anyways. Audyssey and bass management appeared to be working.

Stumped in Texas,

Dennis

ReplyQuote Multi
Because the salutary effects of bass management and room correction are more significant than the losses due to redundant A/D/A conversions.  Try feeding the SB directly into a digital input on the Integra,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I normally do run the digital out from the SB directly into one of the Inegra digital inputs. The only way I could see to test the sonics of using a separate DAC was to do so as described above. My questions are:

1) Why did the separate, outboard DAC improve the sound quality so much compared to my normal, direct digital in from the SB to the Integra ?

2) Is it for sure that the Audyssey room EQ and bass mgmt both work when using the stereo, balanced, analog inputs?

Dennis

·
Registered
30,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsonic  /t/1418646/balanced-inputs-for-integra-80-3#post_22191509

I normally do run the digital out from the SB directly into one of the Inegra digital inputs. The only way I could see to test the sonics of using a separate DAC was to do so as described above. My questions are:

1) Why did the separate, outboard DAC improve the sound quality so much compared to my normal, direct digital in from the SB to the Integra ?

2) Is it for sure that the Audyssey room EQ and bass mgmt both work when using the stereo, balanced, analog inputs?

Dennis
1.  Dunno.  You are asking me to explain a subjective observation which I find curious, at the least.  Such is not in my experience.

2.  Yes, if the Audyssey light is illuminated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's compare the two scenarios:

1) The digital out from the SB is being processed directly by the DSP and DAC of the Integra. The signal data undergoes a conversion to analog for output to the amplifier. So far there is one conversion from digital to analog.

2) The digital out from the SB is converted to analog by a separate DAC. This analog signal is then fed into the analog inputs of the Integra. It is then reconverted to digital to be processed by the Audyssey and bass mgmt DSP. The signal is then coverted to analog a second time for output to the amplifier. We now have an additonal A-D conversion and two total conversions to analog.

I believe 1) should theortically be sonically superior for two reasons:

a) There is only one D-A conversion.

b) The signal processing for scenario 2) requires an A-D conversion and two D-A conversions. This is two additional processes that theoretically, should not be a positive thing. Additionally, the final signal for 2) is going thru the same DSP and DAC inside the Integra that 1) is, so why any difference at all?

Yes, the percieved sonic improvement I hear in 2) is a subjective conclusion. Perhaps this ends further discussion of the issue unless others experiment with separate DACs and come to the same conclusion. Has anyone out there tried a separate DAC?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
In what way have you found an "impressive increase in sound quality"?

The Hilo claims to have ultra-low jitter circuitry, sample rate selection (does it upsample?), mono DAC and volume trim for the XLR, so it's not impossible to achieve something different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts