AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about the benefits of using balanced vs. single ended interconnects.

My gear is ARC ref-1 preamp, vt100 mk2 amp & Sony SCD-777es. The ARC gear will accept balanced and the 777 will only accept single ended.

Would it make sense for me to go balanced between my amp and preamp while going single ended between my preamp and cd player?

Thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Balanced line connections between your preamplifier and Amplifier will provide approximately an additional -3db improvement to the noise floor of the signal. It is most beneficial for systems which require longer runs between components as RF noise etc may be attenuated in the cables in single ended set-ups. In most cases with short cable runs single-ended systems sound just fine.

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
Mike, for my home theater system, I use 25' Granite Audio silver interconnects, so the balanced clearly are important over such long lengths, for Theta CB2 to each Bryston 7B amp.

Mike, you're using some Granite Audio silver interconnects, right? And they're the same price whether single-ended or balanced, with a thirty day return privilege. Maybe you should demo both see "See" (I mean "hear") what you think.

I don't think we can necessarily say that balanced over short runs of less than 2M will necessarily sound better - it all "depends".

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve,

Yeah I have several pairs of Don's 470's.

I tried to get on his website today, but it is down for some reason. Do you have his number?

I have heard that the Audio Research gear I have (ref-1 and vt100) are true balanced and that the system would benefit greatly with a pair of balanced interconnects between amp and preamp.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mike, as Steve said the only way to find out is to compare within your own system. My CB will take in unbalanced analog signal from the DAC to the Bryston amps via either balanced or unbalanced connection but the SF Line 3 would not crossover hence only signal coming in through balanced inputs will go out the balanced outputs and same for the unbalanced side.

Btw, I am getting a pair of RCA-XLR cables from Bryston to get around the Line 3's problem (so to bring signal in from the DAC's RCA to the Line 3's XLR).

PF

·
Registered
94 Posts
The balanced line rejects common mode noise much much better than the single ended line. Balanced lines are usually used in studios and in sound reinforcement applications because the runs are long, and therefore are more likely to pass through interfering fields. Even for shorter runs, there can be excesive interference in these enviroments.

The assumption is that the interference affects both + and - of the line equally. The way the line is terminated at the far end results in removal of any component that appears equally on the + and -, which is the interference. So, the noise reduction compared to a single ended line depends on how much common mode noise is impacting the line, and can be more or less than 3dB. Note, the balanced line will not remove noise already present in the signal before the output line stage. It only reduces the sensitivity to noise interfernece along the line.

It is my understanding that the common mode noise reduction of the balanced line can be achieved even if you do not have a balanced input on the equipment to which you finally terminate the line. However, you will need to use a Balanced-to-SingleEnded converter before connecting the signal to the single ended input. Naturally, you will need the balanced output.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.