AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and digesting the discussion in these forums for the past few months, I have finally ordered equipment for my first home theater. As my components arrive, I've started paying more attention to the other "what do I buy" threads and the response has been along the lines of balancing the amount spent on speakers vs. receivers as well as balancing the quality of those components.

Now that I've put a stake in the ground, I can better ask the question: Are my components balanced? And ultimately, which receiver would offer a "better" (there's no such thing as "best"!) balance?

Speakers & Sub:

2 x Polk Monitor 70 Series II

1 x Polk CS2

1 x Hsu VTF-2 MK3

Receiver:

Onkyo RC360 OR

Denon AVR-991

(My video and source components don't figure into this, but if someone is curious I will post as well.)

I own both receivers at the moment. Taking into account that I want 90-95% movies and the rest music, is there a clear winner? I've had lots of internal dialogue and I can't decide which one to keep. I'm hoping you can sway me in one direction...

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgizzard /forum/post/0

After reading and digesting the discussion in these forums for the past few months, I have finally ordered equipment for my first home theater. As my components arrive, I've started paying more attention to the other "what do I buy" threads and the response has been along the lines of balancing the amount spent on speakers vs. receivers as well as balancing the quality of those components.

Now that I've put a stake in the ground, I can better ask the question: Are my components balanced? And ultimately, which receiver would offer a "better" (there's no such thing as "best"!) balance?

Speakers & Sub:

2 x Polk Monitor 70 Series II

1 x Polk CS2

1 x Hsu VTF-2 MK3

Receiver:

Onkyo RC360 OR

Denon AVR-991

(My video and source components don't figure into this, but if someone is curious I will post as well.)

I own both receivers at the moment. Taking into account that I want 90-95% movies and the rest music, is there a clear winner? I've had lots of internal dialogue and I can't decide which one to keep. I'm hoping you can sway me in one direction...

I like the speakers especially the subwoofer. As for a receiver it all comes down to the features you want and need.... But since you have both try them both and see which you perfer

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's my dilemma - aside from the advantage of MultiEQ XT in the Denon vs. 2EQ in the Onkyo, their differentiating features don't appeal to me.

- I won't notice the slight power difference

- my Apple TV 2 has AirPlay

- Both have Ethernet which is nice, but I won't be using any of the Internet apps

- Music will be streamed via AirPlay so I won't be using USB input

- I will have two HDMI devices (Apple TV 2 & 2011 Mac mini) providing video sources, so both receivers have more than enough HDMI inputs

- What other features am I not considering? Ease of use? Reliability?

I suppose at this point, I might as well flip a coin. =)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.