Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShagnWagon
What are you guys paying a month to get HD satellite programing from Direct TV or Dish?
Once you have the equipment...

HBO-HD is no extra charge once you subscribe to any package with HBO.

SHO-HD is no extra charge once you subscribe to any package with Showtime.

A small bundle of additional HD channels is available for $10-$11 per month, but at least with DirecTV, requires you subscribe to at least a basic Total Choice package, too.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much is the total basic package, or rather what does it cost per month for whatever I would need? The small catch is I'll only be where I am now for about 9 months and then I'll be moving around for the next while till I'm off to law school...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShagnWagon
how much is the total basic package, or rather what does it cost per month for whatever I would need? The small catch is I'll only be where I am now for about 9 months and then I'll be moving around for the next while till I'm off to law school...
Figure on spending monthly at least $50 (including the HD package), plus $12 or $23 if you want one or both HBOHD & SHOHD, too.

Technically you need to make a 1 year commitment, but if after 9 months you're moving, with good explanation, you can probably get out of the last 3... but it's not like it'd be that costly to just pay the penalty at that point, either.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at dish and they have the basic for 25 a month. The HD package is another 10 a month. So for 35 a month I could have HD satelite yes? My snag is that I have to keep my basic cable to keep my cable modem which is a must (adds another 60 per month).

Also, what happens when I move? Can I just take my dish with me and set up shop where ever I end up? I'll finish up my mechanincal engr degree next dec, but then its off to law school. So I'll move in Dec, then again the following Aug. Would that be too much of a hassel or can I just pack it all up and move on without changing my service?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't know what Dish Network offers, but DirecTV has a free program called "Movers Connection" where they will install at no cost a satellite dish at your new address so you can continue service. They want the old dish left at the prior address -- ostensibly in the hopes the next people living there will subscribe since the dish is already in place.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Holy Crap another college stationer.... Dish is what you want. With a $5 access fee you dont have to subscribe to any basic package so if you get the dish equipment and want just hdtv you pay the 5 bucks access fee and get the HDTV pack plus HBO or showtime if you want those.

Also if you dont have the equip dish is giving you a free HDTV receiver if you sub to the top 50 (25 buck package) for a year... something to think about if you dont have the hdtv receiver.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to look into dish today. Sounds very tempting

There is at least one more person in CS on the board.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
...DirecTV has a free program called "Movers Connection" where they will install at no cost a satellite dish at your new address...
This, of course, assumes that you can 'see' the satellites at your new location, i.e. you don't have trees or buildings in the way. Keep that in mind when you move!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have Dish and I pay $9.99 for the HD Pack and a $5 no programming fee. I don't sub to HBO or Showtime for the HD because I do not watch any SD programming except for DVD.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Shagn... If you with SBC down there, ask them about the Total Connections Package. You can swap to DSL, Phone, Long Distance and Cell Phone through Cingular for about $60 a month. They may also have deal for a combination bill with Dish.

·
Registered
739 Posts
All channels including DNS (no NBA, NFL, NHL but some Hispanic) $112 /month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.