1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Waldorf, Md. and receive all of the D.C. stations just fine

with a 6000 OTA and a Silver Sensor connected to a 20 ft mast

pointed about due north. With a slighjt twist to the NNE I get

38 and 52. My OTA signal strength indicates periodic hits of about 50 for 59(NBC) but cannot lock in. The signal strength

for 38 and 52 is in the mid 60's 38 locks in and stays. 52

will repeatedly breakup on Subchannel1 while Sub Channels 2 and 3 do much better. Channel 1 maybe a problem with the 6000 processing a 720P signal. However the other night

after the "Courage" movie with Meg Ryan channel 52 started some local testing which stated it was 720P testing and DD 5.1

testing during which an announcer went from left channel to right channel (No rear channels) and stated the MHZ of the LFE channel. At the same time different videos of soccor games (kids) swimming pools and street scenes were shown(I assume they were in Balt. as they were not identified.) as well as a color bar generated signal. This lasted for about 7 minutes before they joined the Stossel show in progress. My entire reception of this test was uninterrupted by any breakup or video distortion at all. Now my main question? Is anyone receiving

59(NBC) with a strong signal in SO. Md? How about 46 WBFF?

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
357 Posts
I live in Howard County (Columbia) and spent the last several months with my antenna pointed to DC. Just recently I reoriented to Balt. to record some NY PD Blue in HD. 59 now breaks up on me. It didn't several months ago. I can't find fox,or pbs. What to heck is 80? I get the signal but not picture. Must be too weak. Right now I get 38 and 52 fine. Nothing else. Have they changed the frequencies?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too live in Waldorf (Bensville Road near 210) and can report similar reception as you. I have on very rare occasions received 59 with margional signal strength (<50) long enough to see a picture. It usually only lasts 10-15 minutes. Although I can see 45 (analog, pretty snowy), I have never seen 46. Same with 22 & 42 (WMPB). Here's what I usually see:

Channel Signal Picture

27-1 85-90 Ok (great actually!)

27-2 85-90 Ok

34-1 85-90 Ok

36-1 60-70 Ok

38-1 80-85 Ok

39-1 75-85 No picture (Phantom channel?)

39-2 75-85 Ok

46-1 0-0 Never have seen

48-1 85-95 Ok

52-1 60-70 Usually breaks up, but tonite its working perfectly?

52-2 60-70 Ok

52-3 60-70 Ok

59-1 0-0 Very rarely I get a picture with 45-50

59-2 0-0 Never have seen

I'm using a Winegard antenna with mast mounted amp. I don't know what model. Its about 50ft up. I've noticed digital reception is very sensitive to antenna movement caused by wind. Last few days with all the wind has played havoc with reception.

Regards,

Mike Clark

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike Clark wrote:

Channel Signal Picture

27-1 85-90 Ok (great actually!)

27-2 85-90 Ok

34-1 85-90 Ok

36-1 60-70 Ok

38-1 80-85 Ok

39-1 75-85 No picture (Phantom channel?)

39-2 75-85 Ok

46-1 0-0 Never have seen

48-1 85-95 Ok

52-1 60-70 Usually breaks up, but tonite its working perfectly?

52-2 60-70 Ok

52-3 60-70 Ok

59-1 0-0 Very rarely I get a picture with 45-50

Our results are about identical. 39-01 is WJLA's main HDTV channel

but as they never broadcast in HD thet use 39-2 for their SD feed.

I understand that MD PBS is transmitting a very low power signal towards Annapolis only for trial purposes. I must need a taller mast to get 59 but as I get NBC-48 just fine, no problem. I.really only wanted

Balt 52 for NYPD but even with a strong signal i get continual breakup

every few seconds with a 720p signal." pgnewarkboy" from Columbia reportys the same . I wonder if he has a 6000OTA? As for Channel 80, I have never received a signal but I will try. Channel 35 WDCA

hasn't broadcast in several weeks, When they did their content was

similar to WETA which in my opinion is the best thing going as far as

HDTV goes. The Norman Rockwell hour was just like being there. I'll keeep checking 52 to see if it is a 6000 OTA problem. Thanks for the replies.

Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you still getting breakup on 52? The last two nites for me its been ok, with very few drops. I wonder what changed?

·
Registered
147 Posts
pgnewarkboy

Channel 80-1 is the pbs national feed. I'm located in wilmington, de and get whyy in philadelphia. their digital channel is 55. When I tune in to 55, it redirects to 80-1, which is the pbs hi def feed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
59.2 WBAL is comming in gangbusters tonight. Getting signal strength readings of 55-60. Must be the change in weather...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike

I did get a lock on 59.2 the other night after I installed a new Radio Shack vx90 that is on sale for $25. I couldn't keep a picture though.

Need a SIlver Sensor? I wrote to WBZ after I couldn't watch NYPD Blue with a signal strength of 70+. The picture will breakup every few seconds. It has to be the 720p to 1080i conversion of the 6000.

Call me at 301 843 8187 to compare notes.

JIm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,

I meant WMAR not WBZ which I believe is in Boston. Now is I could figure out how to edit my orig. post?????

Jim

PS I just did!!

[This message has been edited by sgtjim (edited 02-09-2001).]

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am in Frederick, MD and I have only gotten 52 for a few minutes before it broke up on me. I have NEVER been able to even LOCK 59 on my 6000 receiver. However, I did watch about 15 minutes of channel 46 one evening- it looked much better than WTTG- you know, the fox station with the logo all goofed up at the edge of the picture, (even in SD digital broadcasts). I am going to try to put a preamp up there one of these days and see if it helps with those Baltimore stations.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ron,

I am currently getting CBS WUSA and WJZ from DC and Baltimore. I can also get WTTG from DC. I get NBC channel 4 from DC, (but it is digital channel 48) and, best of all, I get WETA, the DC PBS station. I can't get NBC from Baltimore or ABC from Baltimore. I have read that WMAR may be 720 p which causes problems with the 6000 receiver, but I am not sure. I am getting all of this with 2 CA 9095 UHF Winegard antennas. One is pointed at 150 degrees and one is pointed at 100 degrees so I can get Baltimore and DC without a rotor, (but I wish I had gotten a rotor instead.) I do not yet have a preamp attached to this, but hope to, soon. I have some days where I get alot of dropouts on WTTG and WRC and I think an increase in signal strength that I would get with a preamp should help. CBS was rock solid for the Superbowl- one major drop out near the beginning of the game and that was it!

My only big problem now is that my antenna fell OVER! My installers are on the way back here Monday to put a sturdier mast up there. (No, I DO NOT reccommend them.... and they cost me an arm and a leg too!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Latest report from Waldorf, Md.

With the new R.S. VU90xr ($25) on a 20 ft mast, I now receive all

Balt DTV channels except 45 and PBS. This includes 52-1-2-3

ABC; 59-2 NBC and 38-1 CBS. Are signals are 70+ on the 6000OTA.

Waldorf is about 55 miles from Balt. I also receive all of the D.C. stations with signal strehgth in the 80-90's except Fox 5 which is in the high 60's. I still cannot watch a 720p program on 52-1 but when not 720p it is just fine. (It has to be a problem with the 6000) The Silver Sensor could receive all of the above except ABC & NBC Balt.

Jim

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am down in Gaithersburg. I work for a Custom Install company and when it came time to do OTA I checked the attic. The prior owner had a antenna up there that had rotated. I hooked a line up to it and got signals in the 70s with a preamp.

Broke down and went to the Shack and got a antenna. $75 for the antenna, mouniting pole, and brakcets. I headed up to the roof and assembled the antenna up there. Mounted the pole with the brackets to my chimney box. Attached the antenna to the pole and pointed it at my south east horizon. Climbed down and turned on my DiSH 6000 and went to the ADD DTV section. Slected 48-1 NBC DC, 98 on the signal meter. ABC and CBS were about the same. Fox has a much weaker signal due to the crummy low power signal they send. WETA 27-1 is in the mid 70s.

All this is without a moving the antenna or a preamp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in Laurel, and last night after many months of waiting, I finally got my Panasonic TU-HDS20 Digital TV Receiver. It took me a couple of hours to hook it up, but that was because of my home theater set-up. I was able to get all of the Washington DC and Baltimore DTV stations with the exception of WETA-DT Channel 27. I suspect that they were having technical difficulties, and the problem was not on my end, but only time will tell. My first full High Definition program that I watch was the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Not only did it look great, I got the added bonus of seeing the XFL Cheerleaders on the show. Given the weather forecast and it being a long holiday weekend (Monday is President's Day), I think I'll be watching some TV this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jim

I also live in waldorf and was wondering if you have made any more successful changes to your posted setup? I was looking at the WG9095 from Davis Antenna or the CM4251 with a rotator, but noticed you are getting good reception with an RS unit. I have also read some people are setting up 2 directional antennas, one for Balt and the other for DC, but I think the wife would freak if I did that. I will be making the purchase this week and was hoping for an update from any Southern MD people who are receiving both DC and Balt stations.

Thanks

Ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtjim:
Latest report from Waldorf, Md.

With the new R.S. VU90xr ($25) on a 20 ft mast, I now receive all

Balt DTV channels except 45 and PBS. This includes 52-1-2-3

ABC; 59-2 NBC and 38-1 CBS. Are signals are 70+ on the 6000OTA.

Waldorf is about 55 miles from Balt. I also receive all of the D.C. stations with signal strehgth in the 80-90's except Fox 5 which is in the high 60's. I still cannot watch a 720p program on 52-1 but when not 720p it is just fine. (It has to be a problem with the 6000) The Silver Sensor could receive all of the above except ABC & NBC Balt.

Jim

[This message has been edited by shielrl (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hand turn my RS mast mounted antenna to rotate between DC and BAlt. I am receiving the same stations as you. PAX channel 66 has 6 digital stations broadcasting at 66-01 thru 66-06. If you want to see my setup call me at 301 843 8187

Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Davis installed the WG9095 with an amp on a rotator at my house in S. MD (Bensville Rd). To get best reception, I've got to rotate between Baltimore and DC directions. I tried to find a sweet spot inbetween, but no luck.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.