AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to the Baltimore area and was wondering what the deal is with local HD? Is Comcast offering HD over cable yet? What channels are on air with actual HD content and what are the channel numbers? I have a RCA DTC-100 for a STB, anyone else in teh local area have it? I appreciate any tips.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
897 Posts
ABC, NBC, and CBS DTV stations in Baltimore pass HD signals, and I can reciever them with a bowtie antenna in my apartment. The ABC station uses sub-channels too. Im really not sure what's up with faux because I can't get the low power signal, which is on a side-mounted antenna. Take a look at this site, which lists channel numbers and ERP levels for Baltimore TV and DT stations. As for cable, I think comcast offers it, but only ABC, NBC, HBO and SHO. I don't bother with it because it costs too much and I can get ABC and NBC OTA.

http://www.100000watts.com/tv/BWI.html

bob

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
38 CBS

40 WB

41 UPN

42 PBS

46 FOX

52 ABC

59 NBC

I thinks thats the list. Forget Comcast, get a nice antenna and enjoy. Baltimore has a pretty good a reliable selection of HD (relatively speaking).

·
Registered
936 Posts
Comcast will be delivering HDTV to you soon, depending on the county, unless of course you live in the city limits. Comcast will soon be offering Comcast Sportsnet in HD, featuring the Washington Wizards, capitals, mystics, etc. in HD and the Orioles too. If you live within the city itself there is no chance for comcast HD for years and years to come.

Also, seeing your from Irving, TX, we don't mind cowboy fans here, as long as you hate the Redskins, we like you.

As for the DTC:

I live in the city near the towers and get all baltimore channels that are listed above with a rooftop antenna connected to my DTC.

With a good rooftop antenna you should also be able to get Washington channels

27- WETA

34 - CBS WUSA

36 - FOX WTTG

39 - ABC WJLA

48 - NBC WRC

If you are too close to the TV tower you will not be able to get 39 because 38 and 40 drown it out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't know where you are in the Baltimore area (your ID still says Irving, TX), but if you're in Carroll County you can forget HD cable for years to come. Carroll is "serviced" by the bankrupt and corrupt Adelphia, which doesn't even know how to spell HDTV. Carroll is a black hole of ancient cable technology in a sea of surrounding Comcast offerings, which are far more modern by comparison. Comcast is beginning to roll out HDTV in some areas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gary, I'm in Towson and am receiving all the local Balto DT stations using Radio Shack rabbit ears on top of the TV. I tried a number of different antennas and have had the best success with the 15-1890. It's more than I wanted to spend, but it works better for me than Radio Shack's cheaper antenna (I forget the number) or the Zenith Silver Sensor. For now it looks like I can avoid spending to put an antenna on the roof.

By the way, Alan said you'd be moving back to the area soon, but I didn't know you'd actually done it. Welcome back. Did Al tell you'd I just bought a Hitachi 65XWX20B? It's very nice.

I'm sure I'll be seeing you.

Sam Baum

·
Registered
897 Posts
A rooftop antenna actually lets me watch Faux now. My apartment complex has a shared antenna system with a 300-ohm twin lead connection in the wall. I hooked it up to a 75 ohm transformer and now I can get Faux. With the antenna I can get everything but CBS, which comes in great on the indoor bowtie. Go Figure. Not that it much mattered today when I tuned in to watch my EAGLES clobber washington (with our 3rd string QB no less) I had NO VIDEO!!! from WBFF here in Baltimore. Just audio. geeze.

bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.