AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new HT set-up. One problem - I ocassionally lose video (goes black and then flickers back to normal) for a painful second or two. this happens when watching DVD's and DirecTV. Have not seen it yet on Blueray (but DVD disk in same bluray player has the problem).

When I connected the Bluray player directly to the projector (bypassing AVR) did not see a problem. Assumed this meant Balun was not an issue. But enter HDCP.

I have two cat5 (6?) cables feeding a HDMI balun - 60 foot run. Also have RF remote - as I have read that baluns can have issues with RF.

Should I buy a high quality HDMI cable - and connect it to the projector to see if it clears up the problem? Or replace the balun (cost $300 from the HT installer). Dont want to cut up drywall until I know the problem. Seems baluns are proven - and why is the problem so intermittent?

Just cant figure out why I can watch an entire BD and have no issue. Insert a DVD in same player and video drops ever few minutes!! Can watch DirecTV for 3 hours and will expereince the issue once or twice during that time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sounds like you may have an HDCP handshake issue, but why it's so intermittent is indeed a puzzle. Perhaps there's some random interference (such as some appliance starting or stopping) that cause a glitch.

You could try an HDMI cable to bypass the balun and see if that helps. With HDMI there's no guarantee of course.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
If this was professionally installed, it's no problem. For you. Call the CI, have him troubleshoot and find a solution to the HDMI handshake problem.

I'm guessing he'll try new adapters. The AVR manufacturer, or the distributor, will help him.

If you post the AVR and BDP models, it may help. Search your AVR 'Master Thread' to solutions to HDMI handshaking issues.

Don't let him use component. It's standard definition, and component going bye-bye within a couple years (at least for BDP).

http://www.cepro.com/article/say_goo...m_medium=email

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Baluns are a crapshoot. I would probably try different ones first before tearing up drywall to pull new cabling. There has never been an HDMI balun(media adapter) I've seen that hasn't failed in one instance or another.

If the installer had half a brain he would have used cat6, not cat5 or 5e.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/18147828

Baluns are a crapshoot. I would probably try different ones first before tearing up drywall to pull new cabling. There has never been an HDMI balun(media adapter) I've seen that hasn't failed in one instance or another.

If the installer had half a brain he would have used cat6, not cat5 or 5e.

I don't know why many professional installers go with cat5E over cat6. When I bought my new place, it was pre-wired cat5e everywhere. I called the installer and his answer was price. However, the difference in price of the spools of wire seem to be negligible. Anyway, I used an Ethereal balun and the only time I would see the picture go black for a second was when somebody was turning a certain light switch on or off. See if you can correlate your loss of picture to some kind of electrical interference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.