AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello and thank you all in advance. I have patio speakers in a home I just purchased that use banana plugs. However, my receiver (Onkyo) has RCA ports for my zone 2 to which I would like to connect it to.

Any options out there? I'm thinking one of two options: either a small adapter which, from what I've read, might be a problem. Or, perhaps, a switch box that plugs into the RCA port but accepts banana clips.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Tim

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdaugherty  /t/1520907/banana-pliugs-on-speakers-rca-jacks-for-my-zone-2#post_24436691

Hello and thank you all in advance. I have patio speakers in a home I just purchased that use banana plugs. However, my receiver (Onkyo) has RCA ports for my zone 2 to which I would like to connect it to.

Any options out there? I'm thinking one of two options: either a small adapter which, from what I've read, might be a problem. Or, perhaps, a switch box that plugs into the RCA port but accepts banana clips.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Tim

Do you have to use the existing speaker wire? If not, you can get speaker wire with RCA on one end and bare wire on the other, then you can either use the bare wire or put banana plugs on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you! I've been reading the other posts as well and trying to understand (I'm a total neophyte here). I need to check my speakers to see if they are amped or not inside. If not, I may need a powered switch...right? If not, it appears I should be able to simply strip the red and black banana connectors and attach them, as you mentioned, to an RCA jack with wires already.

FYI...wires are in the walls so I can't replace wire all the way -- not with my limited expertise. So I would simply tie into them near my receiver.

Sound reasoning?

Tim

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdaugherty  /t/1520907/banana-pliugs-on-speakers-rca-jacks-for-my-zone-2#post_24436731

Thank you! I've been reading the other posts as well and trying to understand (I'm a total neophyte here). I need to check my speakers to see if they are amped or not inside. If not, I may need a powered switch...right? If not, it appears I should be able to simply strip the red and black banana connectors and attach them, as you mentioned, to an RCA jack with wires already.

FYI...wires are in the walls so I can't replace wire all the way -- not with my limited expertise. So I would simply tie into them near my receiver.

Sound reasoning?

Tim

Just so I'm clear, are you talking about splicing the receiver end of the speaker wire on to an rca end plugged wire to go in to the receiver, or are you talking about bare wire in to your receiver? Getting a little confused between your two posts. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No problem and thank you for working with me! I have RCA connections on my receiver for my Zone 2 output. All my other output (e.g. front, center, surround, etc.) are banana.

My speakers have banana jacks currently on the end that would normally plug into the receiver.

So, I essentially have banana jacks in one hand and RCA jacks on the receiver and trying to figure out how to connect the two.

Make sense?

Tim

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdaugherty  /t/1520907/banana-pliugs-on-speakers-rca-jacks-for-my-zone-2#post_24436747

No problem and thank you for working with me! I have RCA connections on my receiver for my Zone 2 output. All my other output (e.g. front, center, surround, etc.) are banana.

My speakers have banana jacks currently on the end that would normally plug into the receiver.

So, I essentially have banana jacks in one hand and RCA jacks on the receiver and trying to figure out how to connect the two.

Make sense?

Tim

Ok. From what I can tell, you can get RCA plugs to put on the bare wire. Sounds like there are two types, one type needs to be soldered and one doesn't, but I'm not too sure how well the non soldered type works. If you have a Radio Shack or similar place that sells speaker wire and audio gadgets, they would best be able to tell you exactly what you need...but it can be done.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdaugherty  /t/1520907/banana-pliugs-on-speakers-rca-jacks-for-my-zone-2#post_24436747

Make sense?

Sounds like you have line level output jacks for Zone 2 on your AVR, which is very common. That means you need to supply an external amplifier.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1520907/banana-pliugs-on-speakers-rca-jacks-for-my-zone-2#post_24436822

Sounds like you have line level output jacks for Zone 2 on your AVR, which is very common. That means you need to supply an external amplifier.

Yes I suspect he has Zone 2 Pre-Outs, which means they are non-amplified outputs. You need to purchase a small 2-channel amp to power the speakers on your patio. Something like a T-amp would work well, check www.parts-express.com for a nice selection.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I totally missed him saying it's from his zone 2, but I really should have asked which Onkyo so that I could have looked it up. Either way, yeah he'll need to get a small amp for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts