AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in some banana plugs for my rear speaker connections. I use Monster flat wire (16 gauge). I've picked up a few different plugs at Frys but they never seem big enough to fit my thicker 16 gauge wire. I'm a newbie with plugs so can somebody tell me the brand/type of plug that would work for my 16g wire?? I just want something cheap that will do the trick.

Much appreciated!

Rick

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Huh? 16 gauge is usually considered thin, not thick. I've never seen a banana plug that can't accomodate 16 gauge.

Ed

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah I'm with ekb, 16 gauge is really thin. I would suggest returning the monster cable and never buying it again and buying at minimun 14 guage (if not 12) from blue jean cables or monoprice.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Wire gauge is determined by the crosssectional area of the conductors not the diameter of the cable which can vary more than a little depending on the thickness of the insulation. The other posters are correct any plugs you are likely to buy will accecpt #16, once the insulation is removed.

But don't confuse a concern about thick vs. thin, influence a decision as to the appropriate size to use.

It could be 12 AWG, 14 AWG, 16 AWG, and gasp, even 18 AWG.

Win some bets. For the vast majority of home systems with the speaker wires running within the room, people just won't be able to hear a difference (in blind testing) between any of them. People will say that they can, but never as the result of a good blind test.

Folks will jump in with the Roger Russel site, and it is a good one. But read it carefully, especially the table on this page before you buy off on 16 AWG as too thin (whatever that means).

For what it may be worth I use in my 13 x 22' room #12 for the mains (because I like the look), and # 16 for the side surrounds. The rear surrounds are on a combination of #16 under the floor and #18 where it is exposed. #12 used to be a bit large for many plugs, but these days marketers have caught on and some screw down plugs are so large that #18 has to be doubled to get a good fit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It says 16 gauge on the outside rubber sheath but when I was at Circuit City this weekend I looked at some 16 gauge and it was much thinner than mine. So, you're right, I must have something closer to 12 gauge. Why Monster indicates 16 gauge on the outside of it is an utter mystery to me - and very confusing to the average Joe who wants to confirm what gauge they're running to the receiver...

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenportbuzz /forum/post/14191295

It says 16 gauge on the outside rubber sheath but when I was at Circuit City this weekend I looked at some 16 gauge and it was much thinner than mine. So, you're right, I must have something closer to 12 gauge. Why Monster indicates 16 gauge on the outside of it is an utter mystery to me - and very confusing to the average Joe who wants to confirm what gauge they're running to the receiver...

The actual copper wire was thicker on the Monster? They're known for coating the heck out of their wire to make it appear bigger, but to actually UNDERstate the gauge they're selling.....well that isn't Monster.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenportbuzz /forum/post/14191295

Mild upbraid begins--

Did you not read the earlier post when I wrote-

Wire gauge is determined by the crosssectional area of the conductors not the diameter of the cable...

Upbraid ends.

Monster is reticent about the actual gauge of their wire, but in Monster Puff Large = 16 AWG.

Monster tends to try to focus you on the overall diameter of their cable, plus various magical properties, hoping that you will be impressed by a 13mm size. But the fact that it is a half inch cable is meaningless unless you need to make a tight bend or pull it through a small opening.

#16 is 0.0508" in diameter and #12 is 0.0808".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts