AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I am having some trouble terminating my speaker wires with some banana plugs.

the plugs I have screw off but do not have a hole to hold the wire. If i put the wire in and screw both pieces back, the plug doesn't stay on.

What can i do?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
What are you plugging into?

Banana Plugs go in the end of the screw off connector, they are friction fit. No need to enscrew anything with banana plugs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try not to twist the speaker wire before you push the wire into the plug. When you push the speaker wire in it is supposed to "mushroom" inside the connector so that when you screw the plug closed, it pinches the portion of the wire that "mushroomed" inside the connector. Should be good to go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am plugging it into an amp.

So i shouldn't twist the wire and I should just stick it in so it mushrooms. what allows the plug to stay on the wire?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I think I understand, the banana clip is not accepting the bare wire itself well?

No hole and no little set screw?

I have not used this type I suppose.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/15595833

I think I understand, the banana clip is not accepting the bare wire itself well?

No hole and no little set screw?

I have not used this type I suppose.

YES... THIS IS MY PROBLEM.

i'm using bare wire riite now

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeev155 /forum/post/15596234

YES... THIS IS MY PROBLEM.

i'm using bare wire riite now

Sounds to me like you purchased the type that need soldering. Can you post a picture of them? If not what brand and model.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, the knurled end is actually split; you can barely see it in the pictures, so half is the connection end, where the banana plug is screwed into, and half is the wire set-screw. Hold the two halves of the knurled end, and unscrew the back counter-clockwise. It should come out. They might be set very tight, so a pair of pliers might be in order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts