AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've used banana plugs and I've been unable to find an answer else where. I have two different types of banana plugs, Deadbolt plugs by Sewell Direct and basic ones from Monoprice. When I connect them to my speakers (Paradigm surround 1 and center 1) they do not fully sink into the post but leave a small amount of the plug exposed. I can hear and see that there is a wall in the post the prevents the plug from sinking any further, is it then expected that the plugs do not sink all the way and become fully flush with the post? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
+1... agreed... but some speakers do come with binding post plugs in them(such as my Energy Speakers) that you must remove in order to use banana plugs in them.. But, normally if that were the case, you wouldn't even be able to insert a banana plug at all. At any rate, have you unscrewed the binding post nuts fully off the posts and checked to see if there is some sort of removable plug in there that can be pried out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've unscrewed them as much as them will go and it looks like there is a open hole (for speaker wire I'm guessing) and then the base of the post, so I believe I'm just bumping into that, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not using the wrong plugs or trying to install them into speakers that shouldn't use them

So the post looks like this
=
=
=
()
_

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I suspect that banana plugs include a little bit of extra shaft so that you can insert them all the way into the jack even when the nut is not screwed all the way down. Otherwise, using both a wire under the nut and a plug in the jack would make the connection of the plug vulnerable because it would not insert all the way. It might fall out easily.

·
Registered
103 Posts
you can replace them with deeper posts, but good luck getting the threads right. I had a broken post & had to drill out the old hole & bolt the new post down from the inside (now it only accepts banana plugs). Probably could have found an OEM replacement, but who has time for that? Anyway, yeah it's normal. Going in all the way wouldn't really do anything for the structural integrity of the plug. If you're OCD, you can use beads to fill the gaps. Or rubber tube from your local automotive parts distributor...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.