AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Band of Brothers Japanese HD DVD discs are available for pre-order at Amazon Japan as of today. 2 months to release date (7/27).

Pre-order price is 25 % off at 2993 yen per disc and there are 5 discs sold separately (as reported earlier). Pre-ordering from Amazon JP is probably the cheapest way to get them.

If you order after release date, the discount is probably not available anymore and price is likely to be 3990 yen per disc (at Amazon JP).

These are released by Toshiba Entertainment / Amuse Soft Entertainment so the release is exclusive to HD DVD.

Links:
Disc1
Disc2
Disc3
Disc4
Disc5

Note: I had to modify the URLs so that I hex-encoded occurrences of "ref" in them as %72%65%66 because otherwise avsforum's URL handling was somehow breaking the links by converting part of the URL into *****.

These updated links were checked by me and work OK now.

If any problem with these links, please refer to my post in High Def Digest forum that contains unedited links that work OK over there:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=8391

·
Registered
116 Posts
links are still broken

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, seems the links are broken. Can't seem to paste them here so that they would work. I'll try to figure it out.

Probably some special characters in the links that don't seem to work well when pasted in this forum.

In the meanwhile please refer to my post in High Def Digest forum where the links work OK:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=8391

EDIT: They are not broken anymore, found a way to make them work and updated original post.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I clicked the links and they worked fine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r /forum/post/0

I clicked the links and they worked fine.

The links in my corresponding High Def Digest post that is now linked here work fine.

First I put direct links to Amazon Japan items in my original post here as well, but those links didn't work right so I removed them. Some part of the URLs turned to '*' characters when pasting and that broke the links. I'll try to find a way to put working links here later today.

EDIT: The URLs contain this kind part "/ ref=" (without the space) and that seems to turn into a bunch of asterisks whenever I try to paste the links here. => Links get broken. I solved the problem by hex-encoding "ref" and inserting the hex-encoded string in its place in original URLs. Original post has now fixed links.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hmmm...ok. I wouldn't mind ordering it though but since I can't read Japanese that's gonna be a problem.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:

Hmmm...ok. I wouldn't mind ordering it though but since I can't read Japanese that's gonna be a problem.

Ordering related dialogs are available in English and my links posted in HDD forum shows the titles in "English mode". The names of the titles and other title related information is never available in English, but the ordering dialogs are available in English, so as long as the titles can be located (easy using the available links), ordering itself would not be so difficult in the supported "partial English mode".

With Amazon JP you can't use existing data from Amazon.com though so you need a new account there or possibly all the required information can be entered during the order process.

I pre-ordered all 5 discs already

·
Registered
400 Posts
Account creation for Amazon Japan is in Japanese....i think.

EDIT: OK, registering wasn't too bad. I had to figure out what was what though but the good thing is is that yes the checkout has an english option.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic /forum/post/0

Ouch, I'll just wait for the eventual US release.

$123.27 without shipping is a little too rich for my blood.

My guess is the way it's being released. It's being released as separate volumes and not as a complete boxset.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In Japan the "box sets" are not typically cheap either, and often they release TV series here as 2 separate box sets, first one containing first half of a season and 2nd one containing 2nd half of a season, and both boxes cost plenty.

These Band of Brothers HD DVD discs are actually now cheaper in Amazon.co.jp with pre-order price than corresponding DVDs (released sometime last year). Corresponding DVD releases have the same MRSP (3990 yen) but they are discounted less now (22%). At least so far there hasn't been much price premium on HD DVDs in Japanese market, it's just that DVDs are very expensive too here...

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannisto /forum/post/0

In Japan the "box sets" are not typically cheap either, and often they release TV series here as 2 separate box sets, first one containing first half of a season and 2nd one containing 2nd half of a season, and both boxes cost plenty.

These Band of Brothers HD DVD discs are actually now cheaper in Amazon.co.jp with pre-order price than corresponding DVDs (released sometime last year). Corresponding DVD releases have the same MRSP (3990 yen) but they are discounted less now (22%). At least so far there hasn't been much price premium on HD DVDs in Japanese market, it's just that DVDs are very expensive too here...

Hmmm....that's interesting news.

Anyways, I just need some clarification on the shipping costs.

Since I live outside Japan (in the Oceania region according to them) the shipping charges are:

2000 yen per shipment (going by DVD)

300 yen per item

so does that mean the total shipping cost would be:

2000 yen + 5 x 300 yen

since there's 5 volumes?

I just ask because Amazon Japan doesn't show a chart on how it is calculated so that's what I assume it to be. The total cost for me would be $186 AUD....a lot for a miniseries but I can't really argue when you buy it brand new hot of the press as it were.

I definitely would like to get it and probably will order in a few days or at the end of May/early June. I've mainly ordered most of my HD-DVDs from the US and this will be the first time I'll order from Japan. It will be a late birthday gift as my birthday is 4 days before it gets released though I've known Amazon to ship orders when they get stock before release day.

This is why I love HD-DVD: No Region coding = more access to titles both sold locally and overseas.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a way to make the links work here. Needed to hex-encode the part that avsforum's URL handling system was converting to asterisks. Now the original post has been updated with direct links that work.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:

Since I live outside Japan (in the Oceania region according to them) the shipping charges are:

2000 yen per shipment (going by DVD)

300 yen per item

so does that mean the total shipping cost would be:

2000 yen + 5 x 300 yen

since there's 5 volumes?

I think you are right with that calculation. I have no first hand experience of international shipping from Amazon.co.jp because I use their domestic standard shipping which is free if price of order exceeds 1500 yen.

Note that you probably get 5 % tax off on the disc prices when you order internationally. Not so much but it's something

It appears that they only offer express shipping internationally now, which would be more expensive than their international economy shipping used to be. I found this note on their page:

Quote:
International Economy Service is no longer available

Amazon.co.jp has been offering International Economy shipping and International Express shipping. To deliver your items safely to you as soon as possible, we have decided to offer only International Express shipping which has tracking ID on every shipment.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannisto /forum/post/0

It appears that they only offer express shipping internationally now, which would be more expensive than their international economy shipping used to be. I found this note on their page:

I guess that's what you get to get your items moving faster and it also has the advantage of package tracking too. July 27 is still ages away so I'll order in June which is later this week.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm trying to create an account but am stuck on the second line. The first is for 'name', the third is for email address, the fourth is to repeat the email address, and to the two entry boxes underneath are for password and repeat password. But what does the second word mean? All I'm getting from google translate and babelfish is 'hurigana'?

Jules

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules /forum/post/0

I'm trying to create an account but am stuck on the second line. The first is for 'name', the third is for email address, the fourth is to repeat the email address, and to the two entry boxes underneath are for password and repeat password. But what does the second word mean? All I'm getting from google translate and babelfish is 'hurigana'?

Jules

Not sure on the translation but if you have an Amazon UK account, you should

be able to use the same logon for any other Amazon site including Japan. I am

able to use my UK account on Japan, Germany and France's Amazon.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules /forum/post/0

Jules

Yeah, it took me a few to figure it out. I also tried babelfish but to no avail so I had to wing it.

1st line: First name

2nd line: Last name

3rd line: Email

4th line: Confirm Email

(gap)

5th line: Password

6th line: Confirm Password

I hope that helps

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems to me you can create the account in English while you are doing your first order in Amazon.co.jp.

If you have no existing account and you are proceeding to checkout with some items in your cart, you are prompted for your e-mail address and password (for existing account). That page has "Would you like to see this page in English ?" option, if you select that, the rest of the ordering and account creation is in English.

1) Select to view the page in English

2) Enter your e-mail address and select "I am a new customer." button.

3) Press the "Sign in using our secure server" button

4) Select the "International (outside of Japan)" link on the next page

5) Fill in your address data in English and select "Ship to this address"

6) Enter your credit card information on the next page

7) Enter your full name and password information on the same page

I guess that's about it. Shouldn't have to use Japanese at all when creating the new account in the ordering process. I tried it through until the last listed steps but didn't want to create an actual new account.

There is this kind of note in Amazon.co.jp's "Assistance to new customers" section:

Quote:
Placing an order at Amazon.co.jp is easy. There's no need to create an account first; you will have done that once you've placed your first order online. (Please note: We cannot accept orders by phone, fax, or e-mail. All orders must be placed online.)

1 - 20 of 238 Posts