AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the UK, issue 2 of glossy new magazine HD Review lists BAND OF BROTHERS as being released here in 'Q2 2008' (April-June).

But here's the thing: It's listed as an HD-DVD release from HBO. However, the magazine was published around the time of Warner's recent announcement. Since HBO is affiliated with Warner and (I'm told) is now Blu-only, any release of BoB will be Blu rather than Red.

Slightly complicated, I know, but it points to this classic miniseries finally reaching HD media in English-speaking territories. Unless, of course, HD Review got its facts wrong. But there it is, clear as crystal, listed on page 27 of the second issue...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice... I have no idea why they are holding back releases.... if they want to have these formats catch on they need more catalogue titles... and top titles for that matter. I did a run over of the imdb.com top 250 list... only 37 available on HDM.. lame.

I hope there may be compatability with North American players, but we will see. This is one I would definately want to pick up. I didn't buy the HD version due to the japanese packaging/menus, limited availability and high price.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/12981391

I have been enjoying BoB for weeks now with 1080p avc and DTS HD

Japan HD-DVD release

-Gary

At something just shy of $300. I would love to see this on BD and hopefully a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/12981391

I have been enjoying BoB for weeks now with 1080p avc and DTS HD

Japan HD-DVD release

-Gary

I'm not a fan of non-English menu's.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Where did you come up with $300? I too have my copy on HD DVD which I love and paid just shy of $160. Don't state things as fact unless you have the facts to back it up.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
IMO even $160 is a lot to drop for a single release on a format seemingly on its way out. I'd spend that on a Blu import, but not HD DVD at this point.

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo /forum/post/13062623

IMO even $160 is a lot to drop for a single release on a format seemingly on its way out. I'd spend that on a Blu import, but not HD DVD at this point.

I paid $90 for the regular DVD back when it first came out, $160 for the HD DVD was a bargain.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm not saying the content isn't worth it. It is.

I'm just saying I'm not going to put out that kind of cash for it on a format for which I may not own a player eventually.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/13062531

When's it comming out. WB still makes both formats till april

that's true about Warner, but I think HBO and New Line dropped HD DVD immediately, as far as I know.., so that means it will be blu only relase

anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Marek

·
Banned
483 Posts
Well, we'll see if this version is cheaper to import than the Japanese HD DVD set (and if it's up to par). If so, I'm ordering.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It'll be interesting to see the comparison. I'll probably stick with my import as its nearly flawless. It's a very grainy film (I can see the complaint threads already...) and this transfer renders the grain perfectly. I would compare it to 300 in that it's very contrasty, de-saturated and grainy but there's still a lot of fine detail. The difference is 300 achieved their effect in post production and BoB was intentionally shot on special film to give the look. The DTS-HD audio is also great (I'm able to bitstream it).

Oh and then there's the fact that its the best damn mini-series ever made.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
+1 Here but I didn't have any problems with film grain. I didn't think it was anymore distracting than the DVD. This series is demo quality PQ & SQ in hidef.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebuzz#836 /forum/post/13062659

I paid $90 for the regular DVD back when it first came out, $160 for the HD DVD was a bargain.

0_o That's still a good chunk of change. If they could do Harry Potter for less than 100, with all the bonus content it came with, you'd think they could do the same for Band of Brothers.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
$160 is outrageous IMO. Especially since I've already dropped $80 on the SD version.

Band of Brothers is about as quality as it gets, but I'm not spending close to $250 on one miniseries.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Woot!!! I was just watching it today on the History channel wondering how much longer i'll have to wait for it to be released on Blu-ray

1 - 18 of 18 Posts