AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, thanks for reading about my project! ..... I've been searching and reading these forums for hours and I haven't found enough answers, so I'm looking for help on the idea I've developed with what I've absorbed and learned so far.

I will be dedicating a 12'x12' bedroom in a rental house for band practice. The band will be mostly just drums and bass guitar, so we'll produce plenty of low frequencies. This room has three interior walls and one exterior wall, and I'm thinking I might gain significant sound containment by building a false wall 2 inches away from the exterior wall. My goal is to significantly reduce sound transmission to any nearby houses, and especially the house nearest this bedroom's exterior wall. However, whatever I construct must be removed after 1 year and the interior walls need to be easily repairable. Again, this is a rental house.

I've drawn up most of the plans an idea for a sound barrier, and I'd like to ask for opinions, especially on these questions:

1) Will this basic idea of a false wall work pretty well for my goal?

2) What to do with the recessed window space? It is a side-sliding double paned window. Just close the blinds and hang a dense, light blocking material over the recessed space?

3) How to handle joining the false wall to the interior walls? To the ceiling? The carpet? I don't know if I can put a bunch of caulk in there because I'll need to get the walls looking good before I move out after a year has passed. Also, I have very, very little experience with construction and drywall work.

4) Do I need a channel or spacers to maintain the two inch gap between the false wall and the exterior wall while I'm installing this sound barrier?

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,883 Posts
Your plan is right on track for addressing the one exterior wall however your practice space has a total of 6 surfaces that need to be considered. It is hard to estimate how much sound will leak out through the other walls and the ceiling and wall joist spaces. Referred to often as flanking pathways. But I can guarantee with certainty that some "music" will make make its way outside. You may also want to consider using a drum surround, adding a buttkicker to the drum throne, and using headphones.

and

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/pro-audio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your plan is right on track for addressing the one exterior wall however your practice space has a total of 6 surfaces that need to be considered. It is hard to estimate how much sound will leak out through the other walls and the ceiling and wall joist spaces. Referred to often as flanking pathways. But I can guarantee with certainty that some "music" will make make its way outside.
Thanks Jeff. I'm not going for complete sound blocking, just something better. We've got headphones and an electric drumset, but we want to make some noise with the amp and the real drums sometimes, too. If I construct this wall, how should I attach it? Just screw it into the two adjoining walls and use some type of dampening tape there, as well as where it meets the ceiling?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts