AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
towards the end scene when the kid and nick cage's ant character are sitting under the moonlight talking it looked like banding in the misty clouds in the sky.

I can't tell if it's actually banding or just how the light clouds were animated. Anyone seen this artifact?

FWIW I'm using a HD-A2 into a Pio VSX-82TXs and a Mitsubishi WD-65732 1080p set. all connected with monoprice premium HDMI cables.

The rest of the movie was absolutely stunning. But this one short scene was bugging me.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Banding is there on the DVD MPEG2 also... same place, same pattern.. Chiken Little BD demo is full on it too when it there on DVD, it's a master problem.. remember masters are compressed too from 4:4:4

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shame......the rest of the movie looks soo good.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki /forum/post/0

Banding is there on the DVD MPEG2 also... same place, same pattern.. Chiken Little BD demo is full on it too when it there on DVD, it's a master problem.. remember masters are compressed too from 4:4:4

It's not about 4:4:4 but 8 bit versus 10 bit.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner /forum/post/0

It's not about 4:4:4 but 8 bit versus 10 bit.

In where the Toshiba?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB968323 /forum/post/0

Banding...finally...I'm not the only one with this complaint. Another title I noticed on is The Eagles concert disk.

No it was plainly evident.

Gorgeous movie till then.

it's even shown in the screenshot thread.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky042 /forum/post/0

In where the Toshiba?

No, the sample rate VC1, MPEG2 and MPEG4 all work in 8 bit mode.

But again, i just saw HEART : ALIVE IN SEATLE witch got TONS of color gradiant in lights and there's no banding at all. So i'am pretty sure it's a master issue again.

Like Underwater scene in Superman Returns. The HD DVD got banding, but so is the DVD version witch got the same banding pattern but with Macroblocking and it use MPEG2 (I compared it as soon as i saw it, gotta love those combo for something LOL). It's seems to be recurrent in quite a few Warner Brothers Titles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.