AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am well aware that banding is a persistent issue on Panasonic 2009 plasma no matter what their promotional material says!

However, I wouldnt mind banding so much, if the colours that were stepped where actually present in the source and not rogue colours!

I have had 4 Panasonic plasmas since last summer, each becoming faulty one way or another.

My 2nd one, and S10 (S1 in US) would produce rogue pink tones where banding was experienced.

My 3rd one, a G10 would produce purple and green striping whenever gradation of colour was required! WHAT?!!!

Popping in a THX DVD setup disc, the monitor performance screen would show such stripes for the rightmost section of its 'sharpness bar'.

My 4th one, a G15 would produce the same issue when displaying that section of the THX setup disc.

A quirk of the S75 is that when switching to s-video the problem mysteriously vanished. No such luck for my HD satellite receiver and of little use for HD content which also has this problem!

My sources are Panasonic S75 DVD player (RGB Scart feed : similar to your component in states).

Humax foxsat HDR HD satellite receiver (HDMI output)

Both sources exhibit purple/green striping when TV goes into banding! Even b/w film does not escape and different severities of the problem.

This sticks out like a sore thumb in vintage cinema!!!

Maybe my G15 hates my sources : ie compatibility! I do not know.

I tried the THX disc via a Panasonic BD60 in a showroom and the test screen was fine! However the firmware was earlier than my own.

Approaching Panasonic UK, or drawing on the UK forums (avforums.com) hasnt been too helpful. Panasonic UK are quick to disown the problem and pass the buck back to the retailer. I havent had any meaningful response from their engineers. They are engineers are they?

I'm forming the opinion that Panasonic TVs only perform correctly if there is an R in the month and you live in Japan!!!

If any of you knowledgeable folks can throw light on this awkward problem it would be most helpful.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyNTL /forum/post/18298118

I am well aware that banding is a persistent issue on Panasonic 2009 plasma no matter what their promotional material says!

However, I wouldnt mind banding so much, if the colours that were stepped where actually present in the source and not rogue colours!

I have had 4 Panasonic plasmas since last summer, each becoming faulty one way or another.

My 2nd one, and S10 (S1 in US) would produce rogue pink tones where banding was experienced.

My 3rd one, a G10 would produce purple and green striping whenever gradation of colour was required! WHAT?!!!

Popping in a THX DVD setup disc, the monitor performance screen would show such stripes for the rightmost section of its 'sharpness bar'.

My 4th one, a G15 would produce the same issue when displaying that section of the THX setup disc.

A quirk of the S75 is that when switching to s-video the problem mysteriously vanished. No such luck for my HD satellite receiver and of little use for HD content which also has this problem!

My sources are Panasonic S75 DVD player (RGB Scart feed : similar to your component in states).

Humax foxsat HDR HD satellite receiver (HDMI output)

Both sources exhibit purple/green striping when TV goes into banding! Even b/w film does not escape and different severities of the problem.

This sticks out like a sore thumb in vintage cinema!!!

Maybe my G15 hates my sources : ie compatibility! I do not know.

I tried the THX disc via a Panasonic BD60 in a showroom and the test screen was fine! However the firmware was earlier than my own.

Approaching Panasonic UK, or drawing on the UK forums (avforums.com) hasnt been too helpful. Panasonic UK are quick to disown the problem and pass the buck back to the retailer. I havent had any meaningful response from their engineers. They are engineers are they?

I'm forming the opinion that Panasonic TVs only perform correctly if there is an R in the month and you live in Japan!!!

If any of you knowledgeable folks can throw light on this awkward problem it would be most helpful.

All I can say is that banding is a known problem with Panny plasma. The specifics of the banding is just a detail that seems to vary, per your experience.

The only light I can throw is: if banding is a deal breaker for you, (and it sounds like it is), perhaps you should consider Samsung plasma. They don't have the banding issue, but they have their own issues. Who knows if you won't find Samsungs' issues equally troublesome?

If you research any TV on the market, every single TV has a weakness or 2, or 3, and if you focus on the weakness you won't be happy. You have to decide which weakness you want to get used to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts