AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup:

I am currently wirelessly streaming BR rip movies from my PC tower to a PS3. I have a gigabit connection from the PC to the router (D-Link DIR-825) which is broadcasting (5Ghz 'N') to a D-Link DAP-1522 bridge. Gigabit connection from the bridge to the PS3. The router is reporting a 70-75% connection with 240mbps, although I am realistic and don't expect that.

I had been ripping and compressing my BR movies to 4-8GB. I had never noticed any trouble with these because my network can easily handle the additional traffic if it had been doubling or tripling these. I recently purchased a 2TB HDD and decided to just rip and not compress a few of my favorites. So now instead of a 3-10Mbps stream I have 15-45Mbps streams. I am ripping them straight to an .m2ts container (AVC/AC3) when the original video codec is AVC and converting to .mp4 (AVC/AAC) with Ripbot if the original codec is VC-1. Neither container makes a difference.

What's happening is that when I stream these uncompressed BRs, the picture and audio stutter and jump (indicating a bit-starved network connection). When I check the bitrate reported by the PS3, it is showing 80-150Mbps. I have run these video files through Bitrate Viewer just to be sure, and they are all running at normal bitrates, i.e.

·
Registered
567 Posts
2 Important things You need to check:

1. Use only WPA2 Encryption

2. On Your router settings Change Channel Bandwidth from 20MHz to 40MHz (no wireless G,B, A devices can connect to your wifi-N router when you do this)

These should allow your network to operate as a true wireless N network and improve your wireless transfer throughputs...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys, but my available bandwidth is not the issue. My network is literally, somehow, increasing the bitrate on my streamed video files to a point that only a wired gigabit connection would be able to carry it.

If I reboot the PC and router, the first BR rip that I playback after the reboot(s) will be fine and the reported bitrates will be normal (15-45mbps). Playing back any movie after that results in the triple-bitrate effect where a normal BR rip is now reporting 80-200mbps and congesting the network, including the same movie that was just played normally.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.