Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to playback DVDs from my HTPC to my laptop. It worked fine using an ethernet cable, but when I tried over my wireless (11b) connection, it stumbled (as I expected).

Would upgrading my wireless to 11g solve this, or is there still not enough bandwidth for this to work ?

What type of bandwidth numbers are we talking about to achieve this ?

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think DVD is up to ~10 mbit/sec. So a "g" should be enough.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have 'g' and the signal is always on 54mbps, sometimes dropping to 48mbps, but it still does not stream DVDs, i get stutters and drops. Maybe this is only with my setup; I can only stream divx/xvid movies.

I use a Dell truemobile WAP and linksys pci wireless.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it.

Does anyone else know what bandwidth is required for dvd playback over a network (wireless or otherwise) or have any experience doing this ?

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doing a quick google search turned up specs for DVD-ROM drives consistent with 1.35MB/s being a 1X transfer rate for reading DVDs. That's about 11Mbits for a 1X stream. No personal experience with this myself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my tests, DVD throughput tends to be slightly under 1MB/sec. Some may be slightly more, some slightly less. The movie I am ripping right now (Grave of the Fireflies) is 88 minutes, and 3.8GB, which would be about 720k/sec. I have streamed movies successfully on a PowerBook and on an iBook, both with 802.11g cards. There is an occasional stutter, like Matt said, but normally only once or twice per movie. It's probably not the best solution if it's going to be your HTPC, but it's fine if I want to watch a movie in bed on my PowerBook, or if my room mate wants to watch a movie on her TV in her room. My HTPC is of course connected directly to the home theater, so there is no stuttering there (I've even had a movie going on the HT, and streaming on a laptop at the same time, with not problems).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.