AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I'm putting in a basement livingroom and have decided to put in a in-wall surround sound setup while all of the dry wall is down. I have read that I may get better sound with floorstanding and on-wall speakers, but marriage is about compromise.
So everything has gotta be in the wall.

here's the facts:

room is 10'w x 11'L x 8'H

budget = $2000 for 5 speakers, and powered sub

front speakers have to be in-wall or in-ceiling

surrounds have to be in-ceiling

sub has to be in-wall, in-ceiling, or in-floor

The biggest constraint is that i have to order in the next 2days or the project will be delayed.

I know a bunch about car audio and what brands are reliable, but am lost when it comes to home audio. I am going to a wedding this weekend so I have no time to audition anything.

I am tempted to just order this and not even worry about shopping around for what might be a better setup, but I have never been impressed with boston car audio.

Thanks for reading. I will be eagerly awaiting any opinions.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Is it bang for your buck? Polk RC series is less than half price at Amazon, as they are clearing out the line for a new version. You can get them in a couple days if you really want to - sign up for Prime.

RC85i / RC80i / RC65i / RC60i - for example

Though if you want to spend the $2000, I'm sure others can suggest a way to get better sound for more money.

How about 5 of these ?

And there's still the sub to factor in.

Spend some time thinking about where to put the speakers, though. Get some help if you're not sure. It's really important to get the placement right, and it's not like you can change it later.

So this part sounds like trouble: "The biggest constraint is that i have to order in the next 2days or the project will be delayed." Why do you have to order in the next 2 days? All you have to do is run some 12 gauge wire behind the drywall, you can install anytime. Just be sure they run the wire to the right places, and leave some extra on both ends.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ill second buzzy on this setup as being an excellent bang for your buck. If you are looking for something that performs well and isn't going to break your wallet you are going to be hard pressed to beat the deals that amazon is running on the polk RC line at this time.

I just installed the RC85s as fronts and center and rc60s in the ceiling as rears in my friends brand new home and they really sounded awesome for the limited dollars he had in them.

If time isn't a factor you may be able to score a better deal. In my home I have the TC line of inwalls in my family room that I am currently installing. I was able to score 5 of the polk TC615i's off of frys.com for 59.99 each a few months ago. I haven't seen them at this price in a while but you can always hope. These are a step up from the RC line. I haven't finished the setup so I will let you know what they sound like once Im done.

Go with the RC if you have to have them know and don't look back.

PS. if you are going to get a sub go ahead and bid on the bic-h100 on ebay and don't look back.

good luck

fish

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Without the ability to pivot (AIM) both the driver, and tweeter of your in-walls you will not get the effect that the sound is coming from the screen. Speakers with pivoting tweeters only don't do the job.

Look at the Speakercraft AIM series in-walls

www.speakercraft.com

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
since your drywall is down the best bang for your buck would be to get back boxes for what ever speakers you choose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts