AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Dad asked me to build him an HTPC which he'll use to play 4K/120Hz or 8K files with madVR. I've never built an HTPC so I'm still in the research phase. He was thinking an i3 or i5 cpu and an RTX 3060.

1) Would an i3 be enough for this? If so, which specific model is recommended?

2) Are the 3000 series the only ones that have HDMI 2.1 ports that support the full 48Gbps bandwidth? 3060 enough?

3) How much RAM is needed?

4) He has all his components in a rack. I'm not sure if it's wise to build an HTPC in a rackmount case considering the fact that those sometimes get loud because of their small fans. However, these are the cases that I'm initially considering:

Fractal Design Node 202
Silverstone GD09-C (w/ optional rackmount ears)

What do you think of these cases?

5) How many watts of a PSU is needed?

He already uses an Nvidia Shield Pro for normal 4K playback.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
So my Dad asked me to build him an HTPC which he'll use to play 4K/120Hz or 8K files with madVR. I've never built an HTPC so I'm still in the research phase. He was thinking an i3 or i5 cpu and an RTX 3060.

2) Are the 3000 series the only ones that have HDMI 2.1 ports that support the full 48Gbps bandwidth? 3060 enough?

4) He has all his components in a rack. I'm not sure if it's wise to build an HTPC in a rackmount case considering the fact that those sometimes get loud because of their small fans. However, these are the cases that I'm initially considering:

Fractal Design Node 202

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
What are you going to watch in 8k or 4k120?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Since I don't use MadVR I haven't answered this thread, but each time I see the title I'm reminded how far we've come with HTPC. When I started you needed a very powerful PC, and my first didn't even play video through the video card, but instead a separate card with both tuner and video components (MyHD--which also required a lesser PC in general). I don't remember whether any high end video cards were sufficient back then, but they were not too long after. My current system is a dirt cheap netbook I picked up new for under $250, although technically it doesn't play the video either (although it could), since that is done either by a remote PC put primarily through a $30.00 Tivo Stream 4k. Adding in under $300 for an HDHR 4k tuner and an indoor antenna, and there's a lot of "bang for the buck" today.

Anyway, again I don't know anything about MadVR (haven't even Googled it), but I doubt you need much.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I built my first HTPC probably twenty years ago and put a lot of time in setting up apps to upscale DVD's. Then Blu-ray and HD-DVD came out and I had to upgrade the processor, video card and power supply. About six months ago I decided to upgrade my aging clunker and bought something from BestBuy with onboard video, HDMI outs and 12 GB of ram.
You don't need much for playing 4k nowadays. I suspect gamers still need a lot of .power but it's not something I'm into.
I remember I had some audio sync problems at first but I cleared that up by changing some power settings. What I really like is SSD instead of a hard drive. It can load windows in less than a minute.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
11,922 Posts

Fractal Design Node 202

I put my HTPC on my rack in a normal case on its side. For 8k playback via madVR you're going to need a 3080ti or 3090 IMO. I think the i3 CPU is ok, but an i5 isn't much more and possibly worth it. I run an old 4790k. An RTX 3060 is probably going to be challenged. Even a 3090 is going to struggle doing both HDR tone mapping and upscaling from 4k to 8k at the same time. But there'll be some slightly toned down settings that will still look great. Even for 4K, the HTPC with madVR is going to be a big step up from that nvidia shield. He should plan on dumping that shield unless it's for streaming apps. For 8K, I'd shoot for 16gb ram as a minimum.

Im also going to be running an HTPC with NZ9. I sit 7 feet from a 135" screen and doubt I'll really see the difference between 4k and 8k at that seating. How large is your dad's screen and how close is he sitting? I am guessing the 8K resolution is going to be the smallest benefit on the NZ9 of the many other improvements.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I built my first HTPC probably twenty years ago and put a lot of time in setting up apps to upscale DVD's. Then Blu-ray and HD-DVD came out and I had to upgrade the processor, video card and power supply. About six months ago I decided to upgrade my aging clunker and bought something from BestBuy with onboard video, HDMI outs and 12 GB of ram.
You don't need much for playing 4k nowadays. I suspect gamers still need a lot of .power but it's not something I'm into.
I remember I had some audio sync problems at first but I cleared that up by changing some power settings. What I really like is SSD instead of a hard drive. It can load windows in less than a minute.
I don't need a 4K HTPC. I have an Intel NUC 10 hosting my Plex Media Server and an Nvidia Shield Pro as a Plex client for that. The HTPC I'm trying to build is for 8K alone.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put my HTPC on my rack in a normal case on its side. For 8k playback via madVR you're going to need a 3080ti or 3090 IMO. I think the i3 CPU is ok, but an i5 isn't much more and possibly worth it. I run an old 4790k. An RTX 3060 is probably going to be challenged. Even a 3090 is going to struggle doing both HDR tone mapping and upscaling from 4k to 8k at the same time. But there'll be some slightly toned down settings that will still look great. Even for 4K, the HTPC with madVR is going to be a big step up from that nvidia shield. He should plan on dumping that shield unless it's for streaming apps. For 8K, I'd shoot for 16gb ram as a minimum.

Im also going to be running an HTPC with NZ9. I sit 7 feet from a 135" screen and doubt I'll really see the difference between 4k and 8k at that seating. How large is your dad's screen and how close is he sitting? I am guessing the 8K resolution is going to be the smallest benefit on the NZ9 of the many other improvements.
I know an HTPC will be more powerful than a Shield but the Shield is working just fine for 4K. This HTPC will be mainly for 8K. So the source files will be 8K demo files, no upscaling needed but I'm not sure if there will be HDR tone mapping. Any ideas on that? The display is an 8K 48Gbps projector and the source file will also be 8K files. So if I understand correctly, there won't be any transcoding that will be happening there, right? He'll basically use this HTPC as an 8K demo player.

His MLP is 13' from a 150" screen at 2.4:1.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
11,922 Posts
I know an HTPC will be more powerful than a Shield but the Shield is working just fine for 4K. This HTPC will be mainly for 8K. So the source files will be 8K demo files, no upscaling needed but I'm not sure if there will be HDR tone mapping. Any ideas on that? The display is an 8K 48Gbps projector and the source file will also be 8K files. So if I understand correctly, there won't be any transcoding that will be happening there, right? He'll basically use this HTPC as an 8K demo player.

His MLP is 13' from a 150" screen at 2.4:1.
Yes, the shield is "working fine" but the HTPC with madVR will provide a different experience. It's tone mapping should be superior to the NZ9's built in and its upscaling far better than anything the shield can do. Playing back content on the HTPC will make something like 1080p look closer to native 4K than you would expect.

IMO, 13 feet from a 150 is too far back to notice the difference between 4k and 8k anyway.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the shield is "working fine" but the HTPC with madVR will provide a different experience. It's tone mapping should be superior to the NZ9's built in and its upscaling far better than anything the shield can do. Playing back content on the HTPC will make something like 1080p look closer to native 4K than you would expect.

IMO, 13 feet from a 150 is too far back to notice the difference between 4k and 8k anyway.
Ahh, I see what you mean. He told me that he uses a Lumagen Radiance Pro in between Shield and the projector. So there's that for tone mapping and upscaling of 1080p to 4K.

For 8K source files, will there still be a possibility of tone mapping and transcoding?

As for 150 from 13 feet away, he agrees. But he's preparing for the future if he upgrades to a bigger projection screen.

·
Super Moderator
11,922 Posts
Ahh, I see what you mean. He told me that he uses a Lumagen Radiance Pro in between Shield and the projector. So there's that for tone mapping and upscaling of 1080p to 4K.

For 8K source files, will there still be a possibility of tone mapping and transcoding?

As for 150 from 13 feet away, he agrees. But he's preparing for the future if he upgrades to a bigger projection screen.
He can also simply scoot forward to about 8 feet doesn't need to make the screen bigger.

The Lumagen works well. MadVR will be similar but can upscale to 8K. Requires the source to be content on disk. Sounds like maybe your dad should be here :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He can also simply scoot forward to about 8 feet doesn't need to make the screen bigger.

The Lumagen works well. MadVR will be similar but can upscale to 8K. Requires the source to be content on disk. Sounds like maybe your dad should be here :)
Yeah, he knows about the distance but he's hell-bent in having this HTPC built even though it's not too "practical" for his purposes at this moment.

Lol, yeah. He knows more about home theater stuff than I do but I'm the "IT" guy so I know more in building the PC itself.

The plan is to leave 4K alone because he already has the infrastructure for that. So the MadVR HTPC will only cater to playing 8K source files. So far, I think I'd go with a latest gen i5, 32GB RAM, and a mini-ITX case like the Node 202. For the video card, I still don't know but will tonemapping still be a possibility? If not, then I think a 3060 will be fine especially when considering the prices of GPU's nowadays.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
The plan is to leave 4K alone because he already has the infrastructure for that. So the MadVR HTPC will only cater to playing 8K source files. So far, I think I'd go with a latest gen i5, 32GB RAM, and a mini-ITX case like the Node 202. For the video card, I still don't know but will tonemapping still be a possibility? If not, then I think a 3060 will be fine especially when considering the prices of GPU's nowadays.
You want a budget HTPC for a $25k projector?
Why so much RAM? If it's just going to be playing video files, then 8GB is more than enough.
How are you going to fit a full height, double-wide GPU into a mini ITX case?
The most important component is the video card.
So, a budget i5, 8GB RAM, an SSD for the OS and 5400-7200RPM drive for storage.
And then a big, bad video card like an RTX3080.
And a power supply big enough for the GPU.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You want a budget HTPC for a $25k projector?
Why so much RAM? If it's just going to be playing video files, then 8GB is more than enough.
How are you going to fit a full height, double-wide GPU into a mini ITX case?
The most important component is the video card.
So, a budget i5, 8GB RAM, an SSD for the OS and 5400-7200RPM drive for storage.
And then a big, bad video card like an RTX3080.
And a power supply big enough for the GPU.
I don't want a "budget" / "cheap" desktop. I want a practical one that fits for the job and that I can build from scratch as compared to getting an insanely overpriced MadVr Envy. Nowadays, I won't even consider 8GB for any PC even though it's not needed. My bare minimum is 16GB and 32GB is starting to becoming mainstream.

It seems to me that you're not into mini-ITX cases. A Node 202 can fit a 310x145x47 mm (LxHxD) GPU. If it just needs to play an 8K video without transcoding, why would you need an RTX3080? This part is really what's getting me confused.

No need for a mechanical HDD. The stream will be going off of from a NAS. Depending on what video card I'll go with, there are SFX PSU's that can provide the needed power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts