AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum, however I know out of common courtesy to do a search before posting in forums to make sure the same subject does not become posted in a repetitive manner. I did my searching but I was unable to specifically find a thread comparing the two specific dvd recorders for which I am comparing and looking to purchase.

My situation basically entails that, I'm looking for a cheap yet feasible dvd recorder which features a decent and intuitive setup menu while remaining somewhat reliable. This recorder will be placed on one of my older Sony Televisions, as I have Tivo on my main Sony television. Upon my research I've ended up with two specific dvd recorder models in my sights. The first one is:

Magnavox MWR10D6 (which to my searching in this forum is apparently equivalent to the MSR90D6)

and the

Lite-On LVW-5005.

I have been googling like a madman for a decent review for the Magnavox and I've yet to encounter one. While the Lite-On has some very mixed reviews. I know there is a huge thread for the Magnavox MWR10D6/MSR90D6 DVD Recorder, however I have not seen a posting comparing both the Lite-On and the Magnavox. Both retail for around the same price where I live, and basically I'm deadlocked on these two.

Does the Magnavox have an "EasyGuide" like the Lite-On, or a similar Guide?

Does the Lite-On really have poor reliability after 6 months?

Which has the better quality, if there is any difference quality wise?

Which one is the best overall bang for the buck?

I appreciate any feedback I receive, and thanks for viewing my post

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I can recommend the Magnavox. Fairly easy to use. Has good editing capability. Good PQ.

I had a lower model Lite-on for a while. The "Easy Guide" is a nice plus, but not really necessary. Programming the Mag is not rocket science. If you can program a VCR, you can program either brand.

Can't attest to the long-run reliability of either. I sold the Lite-On to a friend, and returned the Mag. I ended up with a Panasonic ES-15 which I recommend highly. A little (but not a lot) more expensive, but noticeably better PQ, easy to use, and uses all formats (including DVD-RAM).

If you really need to stay under $100, though, I say go with the Mag.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I've used the Lite-On for almost 3 years - no issues other than a few screwed up scheduled recordings - which I could watch on a PC. As long as you use the right media - it doesn't like some of the really cheap stuff - it's a fine low end unit in todays' market. All of the features are there for basic recording.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i've actually just started the search for threads about the lite-on. my parent's have had a Lite-on (not sure if it's the same model) for a year and a couple months (bought at thanksgiving 2005). initially it seemed to work quite well, but the recorded DVDs it has created the last few month have been pretty poor. the audio goes out at random spots while playing back a DVD on a variety of players. it doesn't come back on, and the only way to get it back is to restart the disc from the beginning and watch again up to that point. after a while it will reject certain brands of discs. he got 3/4 of the way through a 100 count spindle of a brand and then it decided it didn't like them anymore so he has had to use another brand. and every brand of disc he has used lately has had the same result with the audio.

the best thing they have gotten out of it has just been finding out that having a DVD recorder (other than the one on the computer) is a value to them and they will spend the money to replace it, and at least it was under $100 when purchased.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies it was well appreciated, I wasn't sure which brand to get in the beginning but in the end I choose neither the Lite-On or the Magnavox but instead went with the Panasonic DMR- ES15. I picked it up at BestBuy today for about $133.82 with tax after their sale price and a rewardszone coupon I had. For about $25 more I believe I made the right choice. After I post this, I'll test it out and let you guys know my experience with it. Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.