AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers for the computer since most of my music listening is at the computer with iTunes, 196kbps mp3's of Pop, Rock, Classical music. My computer room is smallish 8 to 10 feet both sides. The Klipsch are just too bassy in this room. I feel like I am missing the highs. They sound better outside of this room.

So I hooked up a Yamaha Stereo receiver with a 1/8 inch analog out. I first tried my Monitor Audio B2's from my HT setup. Way too much bass (spec says they go down to 45Hz). Next I tried MA B1's. Same problem - still too much bass. Checked the spec on those - 55 Hz for the lows.

So I tried my old Athena Point 5 speakers rated for 85 Hz for the lows. They sound amazing for the highs. But the sound seems hollow and light. I don't know if this is because they don't go lower than 85 Hz or if this is the quality of the speaker. But they don't cut it for most rock music. Electronic/Techno sounds better - or different. I can either get a sub with these but I suspect that will put me back to where I started - too much bass. Or I can get new speakers.

I am considering these:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV.../dp/B00006JPDI

I also tried the speakers that came with my Sony shelf system MHC-E69i even though they were rated for 6 ohms. They sounded very good, if a little boxy. So I might get a different Sony shelf system (with aux-in) and hook it up using that.

But my dream sound is the one in my car - with Polk db650 speakers and an Alpine HU. I just love the highs and the lows and the midrange in that system. I would love to have that sound on my computer.

Your comments appreciated.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Since you are listening through the computer, maybe you can route the sound through an equalizer program to tame the bass in the room?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you are experiencing "way too much bass" then the problem is the room, not the speakers (although better speakers than the ProMedia would also be nice
).

Have you run REW to see what the response in the room is?

The suggestion to try an EQ program might help.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
 Two of these studio monitors will wipe the floor with what you're looking at.

But if the room remains a problem, then you absolutely need to address the original real problem. Whether that's with a couple thick (8" to 12") rigid fibreglass bass traps and corner bass traps, or a measuring mic , preamp and REW/Parametric EQ. Even messing around with the placement of your computer desk in the room might make a huge difference. Get some distance from the wall, and away from any corners. I also find that ported speakers don't work well in small rooms - too much bass energy. Stuffing a sock in the port can make a big difference IMO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far.

I have tried the EQ on iTunes but wasn't too happy with the highs on the Klipsch regardless.

The NHT's go down to 85 Hz only. That is a score against them but I will try to find a place to listen to these and the Mackie MR5's if I find them locally.

The suggestion for using REW for analysis seems very intriguing. I think I will find some quite time one of these days and give it a shot for sure.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts