AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my old Paradigm PW 2200 had an accident and I need a new sub. I have read lots of good things about SVS, anyone care to comment on them? I am going to say my budget will be around 600 so any recomendations?

·
Banned
806 Posts
There is no such thing as a "best" bang for the buck, since sound is subjective to a certain extent. Purchasing decision also involves other factors such as aesthetics, hookup options, etc.

Hsu is releasing the STF-3 in about a month for $610 I believe. You can do a search here for more info (keep in mind that it initially was called the STF-12, but is now the STF-3 so that the naming scheme matches more evenly with the VTF subs). The STF-3 is said to be similar to a VTF-3 that is run in maximum output mode.

VMPS ( www.vmpsaudio.com ) also makes some very well-regarded products in this price range, as does Adire Audio. If you want something that you might be able to find local, check out Mirage and Velodyne among others.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I liked it fine but it just was missing some of the UMPH I hear from other peoples HT. I might buy another but since I am in the market earlier than I planned......:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yamahaluver
Add Yamaha YST800 and 1500 to your list, they are fantastic values with excellent musical characteristic.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this statement at all!

I have owned a YST800 for over year, and now I have a SVS PB-2+. The difference is staggering even when listening at lower levels. Yamaha humped the mid-bass terribly, which was very apperent with acoustical bass recordings (like the "Bass Resonance Test" from Chesky). And don't get me started on high SPLs and movies...

The placement of the subs is the same, so that certainly wasn't it. ;)

I'm all for SVS. The "sonic signature" is supposed to be very similiar when the subs aren't playing at their highest possible SPLs. Yamaha costs something like $600, a SVS 25-31 PCi is also something like that... Or a boxed version of it, the PB1-ISD... Go for it! ;)

Oh, and, "Yamahaluver", eh?... :p

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Oh, and, "Yamahaluver", eh?...
Sssshhhh ... don't say anything bad to Yamahaluver. He thinks that only positive things can be said about Yamaha gear - but never "objective" things.

The SVS "box" subs look .... oooh so nice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have the SVS PB2+ but if i only had $600 to spend i would have gotten the PB1-ISD. best customer and tech support!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by F355
www.adireaudio.com is another serious contender. call them and ask them about their 15" sealed Daeva.
Yeah, call them or e-mail them about it. I can't get the Daeva page on their site to load.

·
Registered
238 Posts
rudib,

I disagree, the only thing that comes close to the Yamaha are subs from REL. The SVS is a non musical sub with boomy bass IMHO from what I have heard in different places including CES2003.

wje,

You are free to pipe your opinion on whatever your liking is just like I am free to do mine. After all it is a free country last time I checked. You are free to give your subjective opinion on Yamaha just like I am free to defend my opinion.

Funny as soon as I mention the Y word as an advice, so many Yamaha bashers pop up, SVS crowd is always the most rabid of them all, leave it to the buyer instead of clouding their mind with your needless bias. Let that person come to his/her own conclusion, all we can do is suggest. Just because I like Yamaha or you like SVS doesnt mean that person would like the same. It is ironic to see that all I did was give an recommendation on Yamaha sub and let the customer come to his/her own conclusion, never bashed any brand there but the SVS crowd has to bad mouth Yamaha, I owned M&K before the Yamaha subs but you dont see me putting M&K down.

Now watch the rabid SVS owners froth and foam at this post. I can already see the spits flying at me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yamahaluver
rudib,

I disagree, the only thing that comes close to the Yamaha are subs from REL. The SVS is a non musical sub with boomy bass IMHO from what I have heard in different places including CES2003.
I beg your pardon? You heard a SV subwoofer at CES 2003? Where exactly? Which model?

Here's the word from Tom Vodhanel, SVS designer & co-owner: "No, SVS has never had any products displayed at CES or CEDIA."

So if you'd care to explain this a bit further... That would be interesting for them too.

Regarding SVS's vs. Yamaha performance:

(objective path)

Please, show me a SPL graph (done by an independent reviewer) of any of Yamaha's subwoofers. Until then, please refrain calling products that have a lot of such test results posted "boomy", if the data doesn't say so. Just two: one by Edward J for the PB-2+, and the second by John E. Johnson for the 25-31 PCi that I have suggested to jpinks...

(subjective path)

A friend that is quite into hi-end audio used to call my YST-SW800 a "boom box" and eventually just all subwoofers "boom boxes"... Upon hearing a SV subwoofer in my home, he was a huge convert. He used to tease me with the "boom box" shout, but now... He wants a SVS :) I think that *that* speaks for itself.

And I wouldn't like to compare the a PB-2+ vs. YST-SW800 directly, since PB-2+ cost me 2,75x more than the Yammie. But, since the sonic signature of SVSs is supposed to be similiar across all models until they are at their highest playing capabilities, I find your statement "The SVS is a non musical sub with boomy bass" one of a kind and somewhat insultive.

Quote:

Funny as soon as I mention the Y word as an advice, so many Yamaha bashers pop up, SVS crowd is always the most rabid of them all, leave it to the buyer instead of clouding their mind with your needless bias. Let that person come to his/her own conclusion, all we can do is suggest. Just because I like Yamaha or you like SVS doesnt mean that person would like the same. It is ironic to see that all I did was give an recommendation on Yamaha sub and let the customer come to his/her own conclusion, never bashed any brand there but the SVS crowd has to bad mouth Yamaha, I owned M&K before the Yamaha subs but you dont see me putting M&K down.

Now watch the rabid SVS owners froth and foam at this post. I can already see the spits flying at me.
I'm sorry, but I didn't "bad mouth" Yamaha, I have just stated the product that should be a clearly better buy than your suggestion, which by itself contradicted with my findings (and other folks auditioning in my home). Subwoofers are (thankfully) very easily objectively compared (SPL graphs & level readings, distortion readings).

I have a little feeling that you might feel offensed because someone "bad mouthed" (mind you, I didn't - not in the literal sense!) your favourite audio brand. The first step towards being taken a bit more seriously *might* be changing your forum username... ;)

Rudi

P.S.: apologies to jpinks if this thread went haywire... But I just had to...

·
Registered
673 Posts
SVS subs are incredibly clean tight and powerful. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

I am not saying they are the best in the world or the only good subs, but one of the best I've heard, and very clean and musical. A bass guitar sounds just like a real bass guitar, even with muliple levels of other bass like drums thrown in.

SVS and HSU are very good values for the $$

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Lot's of good deals to be found on the Velodyne HGS Series II subs on clearance. Making room for the NEW DD series. 1200 watt servo subs can really get it right. Add them to your short list.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree, the only thing that comes close to the Yamaha are subs from REL. The SVS is a non musical sub with boomy bass

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only thing that comes close to a hyundai sonata is a Jaguar XJ8 vanden plas. the merc S600 is a wallowing boat with wheezing turbos and transmission whine.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by F355
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree, the only thing that comes close to the Yamaha are subs from REL. The SVS is a non musical sub with boomy bass

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only thing that comes close to a hyundai sonata is a Jaguar XJ8 vanden plas. the merc S600 is a wallowing boat with wheezing turbos and transmission whine.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
i'm a vmps shill.

if you have the room the large is great:D

had a yamaha before the vmps -no contest(love my yamaha rxv-1)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Guys, please, there´s absolutely no contest. SVS is the only way to go if you want a real SUB. If you want a boombox, buy anything cheap, ´cause they´ll all sound cheap anyway. Yammy sounding better than a SVS ? Maybe on the vaccum of deep space.

The truth is out there... go listen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.