AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"It blows everything else away" the salesman told me. Aesthetically, sure, it certainly does. But what worries me is what's on the inside. Haven't they been selling this same 30" direct view for several years? They had on "George of the Jungle" (in fact, it's the only DVD in the store) but weren't using a progressive scan (that would "disable us from demonstrating our superior signal processing" I was told).

The tube (not flat) is a Philips ("custom made, not available anywhere else"). The only reason I would consider this unit is the audio set up. I have the B&O loudspeakers and would love to skip the ugly mess of an amp, etc., and run simple lines to active speakers instead.

The picture was excellent but I would like to know what others out there think.

You thoughts please!

Oh, and which would you rather have if offered one for free, the $8,500 B&0 or the Sony KD-34XBR2?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
A few months ago I was at one of there locations and was totally amazed by the picture. I had never seen a movie look so 3D like before. They had the 5th element on dvd, and they also had episode 1 on VHS. Even the tape looked amazing and 3D like. . . the biggest hardest sell point is the price. If that set were to cost half its price I think i would be all over it. Its size is another issue. . . I wish it was at least 40"

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I would suspect they're using the same tube as the Princeton HDTV monitor (which also has excellent electronics). However, I wouldn't even consider anything over $4k in today's market; even the Princeton is now down below $3k

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree about the price. It is simply outrageous. When I dropped 4K for their model 9000 CD player, I thought of it as investing in functional art. There are people who spend $4,000 on a painting. Why not the same on beautiful and functional audio gear?

Another concern about this set is that there is no way for me to demo how the signal from Adelphia TV will look. Half my viewing, unfortunately, would still be over Adlephia "digital" cable (no roof antennae possible where I live). I know it will look terrible relative to HDTV and DVD, but will it be watchable? Will I want to keep my 12 year old 27" standard TV to watch "digital" cable?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken - my suspicions exactly. I may go to yet a different outlet to see if they too are just showing the "George of the Jungle" DVD. You'd think they'd be more amenable to buyers looking to preview with different sources. I mean, at that pricetag...

On the other hand, I read that they hired Wind River to do much of their software. That is a first class outfit. B&O really designs their stuff from the ground up. That results in both weird stuff and very thoughtful stuff (e.g., the "tint" control is memorized for each channel).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry, the B&O video stuff is all OEM'd elsewhere. For that price, you can get a 50-inch plasma, the latest model, or a full HD-capable front-projection rig. B&O delivers poor value on everything but aesthetics, IMO. I would buy the Princeton and spend or save the balance elsewhere.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
B&O the Volvo of electronic gear. I applaud their attention to aesthetics and engineering competance, they kill them selves with marketing arrogance appealing to the snob circles. B&O makes very strong products but not the BEST in the market and certainly not worth the outrageous premium prices they use as a "were the best, so we are the most expenise" rational.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
These sets look great with DVDs, but you'll notice that you'll never see them hooked up to an HD source. Hmmmm, I wonder why?
According to the manager of the B&O Palo Alto store, these will not accept any HD input, that's why. He did offer to sell me the florr demo for only $7,500 however.

I used to own their 27" (on the too cool motorized stand with the thin S-VHS VCR built in.) The picture was wonderful for 480i NTSC, tremendous perceived depth, great colors & a remote you could knock out a burglar with. Thank god a friend couldn't live without one. I sold it to him for nearly as much as I paid new.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
A used 30 inch ntsc set, Id offer him 350.

Also never trust a store that uses cartoons.... instead of a regular movies or rograms to demo stuff.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Not bad, $7,500 for a USED NTSC 30" TV that won't accept HD sources. Wow! Maybe he's got a bridge or two to sell too?
That's pretty much what I told the guy. His reply was that it was highly desirable due to how pretty it looks while turned off. He had several interior design mags to prove his point!

I could buy several HD ready displays and STB's for that kind of money and still have enough for a bunch of DVD's. Some folks simply have more money than brains - particularly around $ilicon Valley.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.