AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - firstly apologies to all the experts on here that no doubt my lack of knowledge will frustrate, but I really need help with a new setup I recently purchased second hand.

I have a Beogram 3000 record player and Beosound 8000 speakers and I understand the speakers have their own amps, so I need a preamp, is that correct? I assume the preamp acts as a source selection device so i can plug other devices such as an iPod into it, so now the questions…

1) Will the preamp control the volume on the speakers or is that controlled by the 8000s? If the preamp I assume I need one with a remote control, as not all the ones on ebay seem to have them.

2) Can I buy any preamp for the 8000s or will B&O only work with specific preamps?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Hi - firstly apologies to all the experts on here that no doubt my lack of knowledge will frustrate, but I really need help with a new setup I recently purchased second hand.

I have a Beogram 3000 record player and Beosound 8000 speakers and I understand the speakers have their own amps, so I need a preamp, is that correct? I assume the preamp acts as a source selection device so i can plug other devices such as an iPod into it, so now the questions…

1) Will the preamp control the volume on the speakers or is that controlled by the 8000s? If the preamp I assume I need one with a remote control, as not all the ones on ebay seem to have them.

2) Can I buy any preamp for the 8000s or will B&O only work with specific preamps?

Thanks in advance

As far as I know, the Beolab 8000 speakers should work with almost any preamp. The preamp does provide control of volume and source selection. Some preamps have a phono stage included; some do not. If you need a good separate phono preamp, the Musical Fidelity V-series runs around $200.

I don't know what type of input connectors they have; are they standard RCA or XLR connectors? If the connectors are not standard, then you may have to buy special cables or change the connectors. Most preamps have a front-panel 3.5mm connector for connecting an Ipod or other portable device.

I strongly recommend Audio Research preamps; they have been making the very best you can buy for 30 years, and the sound is wonderful and the build quality is astounding; they last forever with no problems to speak of.

I would recommend the Audio Research LS17, which currently sells for $3995. You would need to buy a separate phono preamp for use with it. The SP20 has a phono preamp, but costs $9000.

If that is more money than you want to spend, then I would suggest the NAD C165BEE, which is only $995 and has a phono stage built in. It will do a good job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to respond commsysman, really appreciate it. I'll take a look at that NAD preamp you recommended as it's more in my price range and I was looking at NAD previously so that might work.

Not sure what a phone stage preamp is, does that mean a preamp without a phone stage (?) won't work with a record player?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The phonograph cartridge outputs a very small voltage which must be amplified to a greater degree than the line-level signal from a cd player or tuner etc.

The phono stage, whether internal or external to the preamp, performs the additional amplification.

Also, the phono section applies equalization - see RIAA curve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

that makes sense, thanks for the info. Now hopefully final question, this concerns a remote to control the whole system as I'm far too lazy to keep getting up to change the volume. So i guess i need a preamp with a remote for the volume or do you know if the bel 8000s come with a remote, i'm assuming not as it's not mentioned anywhere.

In short I just want a remote option to control the volume mainly, thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been researching and i've come across a second hand

Onkyo P-3000R Stereo Preamplifier w/DAC

It has a remote control and the reviews seems good, I also assume I could plug the iPad in directly using the usb port and as far as i can tell it should work with my beogram 3000. Does anyone know anything about these or know of any red flags why it would't do what i want it to do?

Thanks is advance

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
IMO the NAD would be much better-sounding than the Onkyo.

Onkyo has a reputation (well-deserved) for a very bright unrealistic sound quality. I would not recommend it.

The NAD C165BEE preamp comes with a full-function remote control.

You do need a phono preamp in order to use the turntable, and the NAD includes one.

A phono preamp not only boosts the very small signal of the cartridge, but makes the information from the record listenable.

When records are mastered, the bass must be reduced in level or it would take up too much physical space on the record surface.

The treble is also over-emphasized to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

The RIAA equalization circuitry incorporated into all phono preamps brings the bass back up and the treble back down to normal levels.

If this is not done the sound is an unlstenable mess.

Look up the Wikipedia "RIAA Equalization" page for a complete explanation.

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
I'd recommend the Emotiva XSP-1.
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xsp-1#node_product_full_group_specs

It has AudioPrecision charts proving it's abilities with science.

and it looks better, and I own one.

I'm extremely picky about my sound quality, I could tell the difference between my previous Rotel preamp and a Classe 800 at a store, the XSP-1, and the UMC-1 and any Yamaha AVR I have ever owned.
For it's price the XSP-1 wins by a long shot IMO; it's was a night and day difference. Heck, at any price even...
The only one of that group that compares for SQ was the Classe 800. (Both were audibly flawless IMO.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts