AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now all my speaker connections are, I guess you could say, bare wire connected. No connectors. I live in BFE and they didnt have any near here to purchase. I was just about to order some from Amazon but it got me thinking. Are they really better to have? I mean your adding another 2 connections to the line, thus more resistance. By that I mean, AVR to connector, connector to wire, wire to connector, connector to speaker. Right now I have AVR to wire, wire to speaker.

The only upsides I see to the connectors are ease of use if you unplug or plug in your speakers alot. Also depending on type, it could limit exposure to the elements.

So is there something I missed here that justifies the added expense?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Less likely to plop out and short something out. So yeah. I use banana's, BFA's and spades. Depends on the speaker binding posts some are better than others. I use connctors on the amp side much quicker and easier than fiddling with frayed cables then pulling out a 50kg amp twiddling the screw down.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I finally purchased some BP's this year, and although it isn't life changing
I would say it's convenient, easy to use, and sure makes life easy if you have to move thing around to clean, or add equipment. No worries about fraying bare wires, etc. Definitely worth the small investment IMO.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Yeah they are more of a convenience thing than anything else. And even those fancy cable manufacturers use them and we all know how even the slightest temperature change can drastically alter the resistan...

I would recommend the Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs, they seem to be the consensus favorites among DIY cablers.

Reactions: Sako7STW

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you mention the deadbolts, those are the exact ones sitting in my Amazon shoping cart right now. Guess I got good taste. I just liked how it appears to seal the ends of the wire. I like that.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Monoprice closed screw type are good too. Those are the ones I got, and they work real well...and a bit cheaper if that matters.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW  /t/1519791/bannana-plugs-are-they-worth-it#post_24407317

The only upsides I see to the connectors are ease of use if you unplug or plug in your speakers alot. Also depending on type, it could limit exposure to the elements.

So is there something I missed here that justifies the added expense?
Nope, you touched all the bases. Connectors are a convenience, not a necessity. OTOH more parts, more things that can go wrong.

Reactions: Sako7STW

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought mine from Monoprice as well and have two sets on different setups and never have any issues. Recommended.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
When I had a pair of Thiel 2.3's the cable connections were on the bottom of the speaker so I couldn't use Banana Plugs One day I brushed against the speaker and one of the connections got loose and touched the other wire, blew up my amp. Cost was $300. Also if you look on the back of some speakers the terminals are very close for safety sake I feel It's a good idea to go w/Bananas.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like the convenience factor. Gosh forbid - I actually like the Monster ones but not at their retail price. The Sewell ones seem to look like that. I have some Monoprice ones but they just don't seem to fit that snug. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
29,118 Posts
I've had the Monoprice and Sewell plugs. both work fine but like the Sewell's better. Very easy to install. replaced most of my Monoprice plugs with the Sewell Deadbolt plugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts