AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello there!

I manage a sports bar in SE Asia and we've just set up an HDMI network for sports streaming.

Here is a brief description:

Windows 7 Desktop PC ----> 8 port HDMI Splitter -----> 5 Flat Screen TV's (Some Samsung, some Sony Bravia, some LG)

In the morning when we open up we switch everything on and the HDMI works fine up until the evening.

At some point during the early evening, usually from 6pm to 9pm, the TV's will begin to flicker and display a banner of resolution (I think this is called a handshake ? not sure), and eventually we lose HDMI connectivity, the TV's will display a message along the lines of "No Signal, check power cords, source, cables" and we won't be able to get connectivity back for the rest of the night. It doesn't happen every evening, but most evenings.

In the morning, when we open up, everything will work fine again.

Things I've tried after we lose HDMI connectivity in the evening:

1) Restart computer

2) Power off HDMI splitter then power on.

3) Plug HDMI cable from PC direct into one of the TV's that previously was connected to the splitter (doesn't work)

4) Plug HDMI cable from PC direct into one of the TV's that previously was NOT connected to the splitter with a different HDMI cable (Works!?)

5) Mounted a fan next to splitter to keep it cool. Problem persists.

6) Unplug HDMI cable from PC and replug. Problem persists.

Anyone have any idea why I'm losing the HDMI signal in the evenings? As far as I know nothing changes, the only thing I can think of is a heat problem because the system has been on since 8am.

If you need technical specifications of equipment I can provide. Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit  /t/1524327/bar-hdmi-set-up#post_24531128

I would think it's the HDMI board in the PC that is overheating...

When the connection is lost on the original set up I can connect a different TV to the PC via HDMI and it works.

Wouldn't this rule out a problem with the PC?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would guess a problem with the cable from PC to splitter or the splitter. In #3 were you using the cable normally running from PC to splitter? A flakey pin can act up at any time and in a variety of ways. Also, is the distance from PC to splitter within the capability of the cable used or maybe right on the edge.

And the PC output could still be the problem if you were using a shorter cable to test PC to TV not previously used instead of the same length in the installed setup. If the PC output drops in level, it may work intermittantly or with a short run. So changing sources could be a good test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoc  /t/1524327/bar-hdmi-set-up#post_24532437

I would guess a problem with the cable from PC to splitter or the splitter. In #3 were you using the cable normally running from PC to splitter?

Yes it was the same cable.

For #4 I was using a different cable. Next time it flakes out I will use the cable I used in #4 and connect it straight to the TV which was previously in the original set up and see if it works.

Quote:

Also, is the distance from PC to splitter within the capability of the cable used or maybe right on the edge.

The cable reaches pretty comfortably. It's about 7-10 metres.

Quote:

And the PC output could still be the problem if you were using a shorter cable to test PC to TV not previously used instead of the same length in the installed setup. If the PC output drops in level, it may work intermittantly or with a short run. So changing sources could be a good test.

Nest time I lose signal I will unplug HDMI cable from PC and connect it to a tablet I have that has an HDMI output. I will report back.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Since you always have problems in the EVENING, I would recommend measuring how much the AC Power Voltage has dropped.....and be sure to measure not only at the Entry Power Panel, but also at the location of the HDTVs and HDMI Splitters to see if you might improve the INTERNAL power voltages by running larger wire sizes or installing additional circuit breakers and new internal wiring to reduce the amperage on heavily loaded circuits.

If you determine that AC voltage levels at the Power Entry Panel are too low, you might want to add a power voltage stabilization system or UPS.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:

Yes, this was my thought also.If the signal level on the HDMI output starts to fall, you would get this problem. To test the link to another TV, the Tv would have to be at the same sort of distance AND driven from the splitter not from the laptop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I forgot to mention that the displays may be locking up when the video is disrupted. You may actually be restoring video by rebooting the PC or repowering the splitter. You may also need to repower one TV, or at least switch from the HDMI input to another input and back, and see if video was actually restored. If it is, then do the same for the other TVs. That may be why it is ok in the morning, everything was powered off then repowered.

I have more experience with satellite receivers freezing video or dropping audio when there is a signal glitch. The receiver has to be rebooted or change channels to restore operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts