AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm am in need of a Barco 1208 blue tube. The one I have is broken at the neck and I would like to replace it. Any ideas?

Terry

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
VDC can still rebuild this, as they weld the new gun on much lower than at the neck.

Curt

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool, I'll call them Monday!! Thanks Curt.

Terry

·
Registered
190 Posts
Please, let us know the outcome of your conversation with VDC.

What is the cost?

How long will it take?

What is the warrenty?

How will the reconditioned tube compare to an original?

Will the rewelded neck interfere with the mechanicals of the tube (focus etc.)?

I too own a 1208 may have to replace the tubes some day. Your feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke w/ VDC the other day and what Charlie said, if the old tube is broken to far down the neck, then they just replace all the glass and use my electronics. There is an additional $25 charge (you just don't get your core charge back) for the glass. The charge to rebuild the tube is $495. You can call Brenda or Gina at VDC (800-241-5005) to make arrangements to send in tubes. They said 1 week turn around, guarantee is 1 year.

As to quality, I will have to defer to Curt for that. This is my experience with VDC. I did read where they had some production/quality problems early on but from what I have read it sounds like they now have they them sorted out.

BTW, has anyone cheked on New barco CRT's? and their prices.

Also, I'm looking for a blue lens assy from a 1208 if anyone has one.

Terry

·
Registered
190 Posts
I recently called Barco in Atlanta and was quoted a price of $1,300 each new. They had heard of remanufacturing options but had no opinions as they were not going to offer that service. The good news is that the "retail" availability of Barco CRT is a reality. The bad new is that it will cost over $4,000 to retube. Now if we could just locate a lower margin source. Inspection of my 1208/2 tubes shows that they are not produced by Barco, but by MEC in Japan. There may be other options for replacement which have not been discovered.

Paul

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul,

I believe that the MEC tubes is what VDC rebuilds from the 1208/2. I sent them in a B and G tubes part number 180DVB22B and received them back in about a week.

Installed them yesterday in a Barco 1208/2, and they seem to be perfect. I have finished aligning and converging to test the tubes and must say I am impressed. I was also very impressed with dealing with VDC as well as the boxing they put the tubes in (I'm ashamed at what I sent them)

I know that Curt was having some fallout a while ago with their rebuilds, and I don't really have enough samples to comment on how well their run rate is now doing, but mine were perfect. No flashes during initial startup, no flare that couldn't be tweaked out, spot size the same as the original red tube which had 1800 or so hrs on it. They have been running for about 15 hrs now and seem the same.

Hopefull this is a good thing!!

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.