AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought what I'm starting to suspect may be a big beautiful boat anchor, disguised as a Barco Graphics 1208s/2 version 9000896 produced in March 1997. The tubes are crisp and 5 minutes into its first power up in my posession, the tubes shut off.

When first plugged in, and powered up from STBY it powered up properly and displayed a full raster white warmup screen. I usually kill this immediately and go directly to playing, but thought I'd just let this one run. Five minutes later, the tubes went dark and I assumed the warmup was over. When I pushed the AdJ button, nothing, tried other buttons, different sources, nothing. Powered down and back up, got the warm up screen for a few seconds, then fffssssttt, and then dark.

Now when I power up, nothing. When I check the row of LED's in the back on the diagnostics board(back, right hand side with pj in front of me on the table) All green in the row are lit, and the single red LED is NOT lit. Behind the Diagnostics board, beside the block that has a red wire into it and the HV lead coming out of it, there is a little board with a black aluminum top with a warning on it, I can see there is a red LED lit on that board.

When I push the STBY button, it never produces the HV crackle, but makes a buzzing, fffzzztt ting sound from the area of the HVPS board/diagnostics board area. I've looked at these boards for bad solder but don't know anything about this so it could be right in front of my nose.

Is this a common problem ? If so, what should I be looking at ? Can a local yokel fix this if I provide the board and the service manual ?

There's NO qualified Barco techs anywhere within 100 miles (150km) of here so if there's any suggestions please let me have it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well...if it ends up being a power supply problem, Curt is your man. I'm pretty sure he can rebuild the PSs for the Barcos (but wait for him to officially say so ;) ).

John

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Paul this is the same problem I have with my Barco 1100. The red LED coming on I believe means the HV is shorting out. What happens in my case is, if I disconnect all the tubes (which I believe are shorted) I will not get the red LED. If I hook up any of the tubes I will see or hear arching at that tube, the LED will stay off till the HV shuts itself off, then it will light. I think your problem is with the HV going to ground at the source of the strange sound you are getting. I would try to fix the problem before you fire it up anymore. As the HV can do damage to other parts. If you need parts let me know.

Deron

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I'll bet you a donut that it's the HV splitter that's bad.

Note: Why do you have a warmup white screen with a 1208/s? That's wrong! Only Sony's have that, n'est pas?

And make it a good chocolate donut, not one of those ferrite bead things..

Curt

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never had a 1208 or anything above an 801s. I couldn't read what was displayed on the screen when it was up, the scan was reversed, maybe it was a warning saying the world was going to end? I only know all three tubes lit up their entire raster area exactly like a warm up screen and stayed that way for about 5 minutes before it went dark.

Can I try any HV splitter in this or does it have to be a Barco ? Are HV splitters "active" in some way or just a passive item ?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Some of the 1208, 1208/2 and 1208S, 808 as well as the 808S do have a white warm up screen that is selectable via the setup menue.

As Curt said it is either the splitter or the quadripler. The fact that you aren't getting any high voltage to any tubes I would suspt the quad.

I think as these units sit for periods and are not operated, the splitter and quadripler dries out and then goes when you first fire the unit up. The fact your diagnostics board is all green and you aren't getting HV is a pretty good indication of that. I have had three go on low hr units I brought in that had not been on for a few years. They usually goin the first few minutes of operation and sometimes make a high pitched sound as they are dying. They are over $500 from Barco so look for a used one.

Terry

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terry, Your description seems to fit what I experienced perfectly. You don't have any used quads do you ? Does anyone know if the quad and splitter out of Deron's 1100 will work in my 1208s/2 ?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some more details. After I push the main power button it goes to standby normally. When I push the standby button, it seems to power up properly, but when the HV sound should happen, instead I hear a high pitched buzz that I've localized to the big thing under the black heat sheild in the middle top of the module to the left of the diagnostics board. If I put the listening tube I use right on the thingy under the heat sheild, I can hear a really high pitched buzz on top of the more audible buzz. Does this still sound like the quad or splitter ?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Paul

Is that the HV transformer(2.5"X2.75"X4.5") you are talking about? Has two large leads coming out of it. It could be the HV trying to come on, making that noise inside the transformer. Can you get some pictures up.

I have swapped the parts between my 800 and 1100 with no problem. If I could see the parts I could tell you if they are the same.

Deron

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Deron, Here's a picture of the board thats buzzing. The sound is coming from the thing under the main black heat shield in the center of the picture. Email me and I can send a bigger picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.