AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Barco 1208s that I love, but there are a couple annoying and possibly related glitches.

The less severe one is that every once in a while, the projector will make a single quick chirping noise (similar to the initial sound it makes when powered on) and the picture will shrink horizontally for a split second, then grow back to normal size. That happens maybe once every two hours on average.

More severe, though less frequent, sometimes the power to the tubes seems to be cut off. They go dark all of a sudden and I can hear the sort of faint crackling noise I hear when I power the projector off. The fans are still running and the projector still responds to remote control commands. If I power the projector off then on, it comes back and seems fine.

These problems seem to be growing more frequent over time, though both have been happening for a while. They're just below the annoyance threshold that would make me want to live without the projector for the time it'd take a repair shop to figure out what's wrong. Last time I had a projector repaired it took them over a month -- can't go that long without my big screen!

Has anyone seen similar behavior? It seems like a power supply problem, but I'm not 100% sure of that. There is a set of diagnostic LEDs, but I don't know how to interpret them. My inclination is to get a service manual and see if I can fix or at least diagnose the problem myself (taking appropriate precautions for dealing with high-voltage parts, of course -- don't want to fry myself in the process.)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
From what I have read here, I understand that some of the early Power Supplies on the 1208 can be problematic, although to date I have not run across one in the 5 or so I have seen (suspect they were taken care of by company I get mine from and in some cases noticed the serial numbers for the PS board were different). They have cold solder joints. You may want to consider taking out the power supply boards and going through them cleaning up the solder joints. Need less to say......BE CAREFUL!!

Terry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.