Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

some help here about....liquids.

I bought an new projector fron Suntech / Nick kopoian and before install it on the ceilling I would like to replace the c-elements filters as I post before and got great help about it. Thanks all of you

The problem is that in the meantime, I got some suggestions from Spatz/Uwe, to change the coolant liquid too at the same time. Enenthough the projector didnt worked some years this coolant rapidly deteriorates and looses its coolant characteristics.

Any help how much liquid required to replace in all 3 tubes of the 1209s.

Also as I have the projector still on the floor, how easy is to change the coolant on the spot.

I got some advice to change the c-elements by bringing the pj standing its bottom end so the liquid is flaw as down as possible, get some towels around the crt's and gently replace the 2 filters.

Any kind of the same help for changing the coolant without dissasembing the crt from their board

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

In order to replace the C element of the BG 1209"s", you have to pull-off the tube assembly from the chassis. You may see that the diameter of the black metal ring over the C element bit bigger than that of the three large holes on the face plate of the projector.

But the older models such as BG 1209/2 have different dimensions, so the C element can be replaced without the dissembly of the tube assebly from the projector.

CJ

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello

The best is to take the tubes out and replace them.

I always order the original Barco fluid and I think you need 3 bottles.

Rob

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you,

1. Rod can you estimate how much I will need though...in liters?

cant be done without removing the tubes?

Some help hereeeeee........

2. cjnam, , if I dismantle the front chassis, will I have still problem for on the spot replacement?

Are you certain about it?

I have some info that it can be done....

3. Will the service manual help for this, cause I am thinking of buying a e-copy...

I would appreciate some more feedback on that....

Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
GreekCRTFan,

1 - You need close to 1 liter cooling fluid per tube, hence 3 bottles. Just order the original fluid from barco.

2 - Dismantling the front chassis does NOT give you access to the tubes.

Really, there is really only one way to change a C element on a 1209s CRT. I will describe the procedure whitout replacing the fluid shortly:

- Get at least two people to do the job. You have to be real handy to do it on your own.

- Remove the tube from the chassis and disconnect all wires.

- Removing the deflection yoke from the CRT is optional. If you make sure no liquid spills down the tube neck, removal of the yoke is not required.

- Install the tube firmly on a bench (or between your legs) with the C-element facing up.

- Wrap some household cleaning paper around the top of the tube to get any liquid being spilled.

- Loosen the 4 bolts holding the C-element, and remove the C-element.

- Get the new C-element and put it in its place. Remember not to touch the C-element with your hands. Removing stains is difficult and the C-elements are scratched real easy. Normal tissue paper will definately scratch the C-elements!

- When you put back the four bolts holding the C-element, it is very likely that some fluid will be spilled when you turn the 4 bolts back in place. The other person should have some cleaning paper at hand to remove any spilled liquid immediately.

- Do not tighten the bolts too much, apply the same amount torque as was used when removing the bolts. Remember, it is only aluminum, and tighten the screws too much will 'bend' the aluminum.

- Lay the tube on its side for a coupls of hours, and remove any liquid which leaks from places you cannot reach by hand.

- Now install the tube, and enjoy a color filtetred image. Remember you will need to get your projector calibrated because the Red and Green will have reduced light output compared to the unfiltered blue.

When you want to change the fluid, I think is better to remove the yoke and the astig magnets. Make sure all of the old liquid is removed from the coupling chamber before inserting new liquid.

Trouble with removing astig magnets, is that you have to align them properly when putting them back in. This is a delicate job.

3 - The Service manual will tell how to remove the remove the tube, not how to replace a C-element. You can get the service manual from my site, it will be back on-line Wednesday http://beamer.xs4all.nl

Last but not least, the job is a delicate one, and every step has to be taken with great care. If everything is not done the best way (aligning astig magnets, yoke, focus coil etc) then, you might not be able to put the projector to its limits and only reach 70 or 80% of its maximum performance regarding focus/beam spot size/form. You really need to know what you are doing. You did not buy the best CRT in the world, to get only 80% out of it. So if you have no experience with this kind of work, maybe it is best to have your work checked by a local CRT tech (freak), if you can find one.

Hope everything turns out well.

Regards,

Reinier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Reinier

cant say how much you helped me with this post.

You are absolutely amazing not knowing all that stuf, but the most important because you pass the knowledge you have and not keep it for your self.

I really thank you and appreciate your help.

My kind regards

Vagelis

PS. After doing the dirty job (c-elements & liquid) probably with my brother, I will have the projector calibrated from a Barco technician.

That I hope will do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will find the complete Barco service manual for 1209s in the site you specified me?

As I read it will be on line again on Wednesday?

Cant wait then to start tweaking...

Please confirm otherwise to buy it.

Many Thanks again

Vagelis

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks from me, too, Reiner et. al. I'm planning to add Green & Red color filter C-elements to my own new Barco 1209s.

As I mentioned in the other 1209s thread, C-elements are available for $120 each from 3M Precision Optics, Inc. Contact Barbara Snedgar: [email protected]

Gunnar previously posted an illustrated step-by-step guide: http://homefree.sensewave.com/~s173550/

Last week, I posted a thread about this topic on the nearly-defunct Barco Home Theatre Forum http://www.barco.com/HomeCinema/en/forum/forum.asp , but the moderators haven't yet responded. Among other things, I had asked how/where to purchase Barco Optical Coupling Liquid.

This task sounds like a bit of a hassle, with some potential for disaster. Call me a wimp, but this novice isn't enthusiastic to proceed. As an alternative, VDC Display Systems Inc. will perform the C-element exchange for a modest fee; contact Jonathan Ordway: [email protected] or [email protected]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RadDoc,

where have you bought from your 1209s?

Have you ordered the c-elemnts yet?

Regards

·
Registered
353 Posts
GreekCRTFan,

My site will be on-line Wednesday, maybe even Tuesday night, just check it.

And getting your projector calibrated by a professional is a must, glad to hear you are getting yours done.

RadDoc,

It is indeed a hassle, and has some potential for disaster. you should really only attempt it when you really trust yourself, or are experienced in this filed. If not, the VDC option sounds like the best choice for you.

Remember, this is not like fixing cars, the potential risk is (complete) failure of your projector due to corrosion of the fluid when you spill something between the deflection yoke or focus coil. Thing is, it Will take some time for the corrosion to take effect and the potential problem will show up weeks or months after you have installed your projector. So, know your (technical) limits.

Reinier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
many thanks again.

Does anyone knows how much costs about the Barco coolant per litre and fro where I can be supplied of with.

I suppose only from the official resselers.

Reinier the one sold in mcmelectronics.com
here isnt the same about?

Wont do the same thing?

I think is far more cheap from the Barco's for $9.99.

I need the original from Barco?

In how many years or playing time I should change it?

Many thanks again

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you checked my last post?

Can you help on this or any other guy is welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi

The original liquid from Barco cost aboud 80 Euro a bottle

Rob

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW the mcmelectronics.com posted before wont do?

Many thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
GreekCRTfan,

Best to use the Barco fluid. The fluid contains some organic material, and is available in many qualities. The difference is in the amount of 'pollution' the fluid has in it. Cheaper stuff is less 'clean', and degrades much quicker or even gets fungus inside. The more expensive kind are less prone to fungus and don't degrade as quickly as the cheaper ones.

Really, this is saving money in the wrong place. you don't put 'el cheapo' motor oil in you Ferrari, right?

Regards,

Reinier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reinier,

nice comparison hehe...

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.