AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again guys -- I posted a recent topic about getting started with my Barco 708s. Since then, I've gone through the manuals and gotten past the bare basics, but I have a few new issues. I'm still green, so bear with me:

1) My image is slightly "squished" inward on all 4 sides. The PJ is very level and parallel to the screen, and I've tried to tinker with the geometry and Iris, but I can't seem to get it square. Any tips?

2) How do I get an anamorphic source to display in 16:9? I've got a Wii and DVD player hooked up via direct component for testing, but the widescreen input is smashed into a 4:3 frame. Is there a setting I'm missing?

3) On brighter shades of blue / white, I'm seeing some sort of light 'static' (best description I can think of). I see it particularly with my Wii in 480p, though I haven't tried any higher resolutions. I'm hoping this isn't an inherent projector issue?

4) I bought an Extron SW2 RGBHV switcher, but I'm getting intense video scrolling on VGA, and I can't get component to show anything at all. This doesn't happen when I wire direct, sans switcher. I made sure the H and V aren't swapped. Is the Extron faulty, or am I failing somewhere?

5) I've only been able to properly sync to a measly 640x480 at a 59.3hz when outputting from a Powerbook G4 (via VGA breakout). Anything higher is either ugly and purple, or split into 2 garbled mirror images. I'd like to sync to 720p (or so) for HTPC, if possible -- what am I doing wrong?

Sorry for the newbie barrage. :) At this point, I'm just after a usable picture, but I admit I'm feeling a little swamped. Hope you guys can help, and thanks a ton in advance!

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
1) Post a pictrure of your grid.

2) Shrink the height in the projector menu to get 16:9

3)Post a picture

4) That Extron is an RGBHV switcher, not a component switcher. Some of the SW2s will not pass component. Get a component switcher.

5) Not sure if the 708 will accept postive sync if that's what the notebook is putting out.

Worst case, bring the set up and I'll look at it, or I do come down to Seattle every 4-6 weeks or so if you want a service call.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Curt -- thanks again for your help. I'll take some screenshots and get them up here for better diagnosis.

When I plug my VGA breakout directly into the Barco from my laptop, I can sync to 640x480. However, when I run the breakout through the SW2 with the same source, the picture scrolls wildly and is very discolored. I may be doing something wrong, but do you know what this might mean?

Also, so far, only the absolute first resolution option is working at all (640x480 @ 59.3hz). My Powerbook has an ATI Radeon 9600, and it gives me a massive list of resolutions and refresh rates. This might be dumb question, but how do I know which are positive sync?

By the way, the Extron I have is the later RGBHV A -- the product page advertises the ability to switch everything from S-video to component, so I hope something isn't wrong with my unit.

This is the one I have:
http://www.extron.com/product/produc...?id=sw246rgbhv

I appreciate your time! Cinenut

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think I fixed my "squished" screen with some geometry tinkering. Suddenly, the Barco is syncing to my Powerbook too. (Maybe the connection was loose?) Anyway, I got 1280x1024/60hz so far. Progress!

Now it's down to my Extron. I've triple checked that the RGBHV is solid in and out, but when I fire it up, the video is scrolling like crazy, and component shows no signal at all. Can anyone help? Is this a faulty unit?

P.S. Curt, I might just take you up on a service call if my flickering turns serious. This stuff is a little intimidating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Triple post -- how do I go about sliding my lenses forward for Scheimpflug? I've got the 4 white hex screws loose, but when I apply pressure, the lens doesn't pull out. I don't want to snap anything or lose screws...

Here's a shot of what I'm working with:

My screen is 80" wide, but the Scheimpflug is set at the 55"-75" (1.4m) range. I do think I'm having trouble with corner focus, so I'd like to ensure I'm setup correctly at 2.4m.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the newbie attack!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Howdy...If you haven't already done this...on my 708 I had the same problem. there are washers on the top 2 hex screws that I had to remove to get the Scheimpflug to change. It wouldn't slide with them on. you'll have to remove the lenses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts