AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Barco 800 that I have not used and many years.

Thinking about doing the projection thing again and was wondering

if I should even bother with the old 800 or look at one of the Epson

units under $2000

I did get a chance to see an Epson 8350 a few days ago and from

memory it looked a lot better than my old Barco.

Ken

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have several versions of the barco 800, all graphics versions. As I recall, their max resolution is 1280x1024 in progressive mode. Even if you use 1080i, the signal will be displayed but you *won't* get 1920 across but you might get 1080 down.

The 1080i picture is acceptable so if you already have one, it's a nice clean picture. However, if you want full hdtv resolution, then get a newer model. I sure liked the 800 in it's time.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I'd take a couple of parts out of the 800 if you part it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKTVRO /forum/post/19573375

I have a Barco 800 that I have not used and many years.

Thinking about doing the projection thing again and was wondering

if I should even bother with the old 800 or look at one of the Epson

units under $2000

I did get a chance to see an Epson 8350 a few days ago and from

memory it looked a lot better than my old Barco.

Ken

if 2000 is pocket change for You then go ahead and buy a new digital, life will be a lot easier. old 800 will probably drift a lot and the convergence wont be sharp anyway if you dont warm it up an hour before watching.

but since you already have it, why not use it? its not worth more than 50 bucks anyway.. I have a 801s in daily use and wouldnt change it for a digital THAT I COULD AFFORD..but I cant afford much

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
At this point, no, a working 800 isn't really worth anything. If the tubes are close to mint, and the set is working otherwise, then the tubes alone might be worth $100 a set on ebay.

I'm blowing out almost all of my 800 boards on eBay, tested, with a warranty for $10 each, and there's zero interest if that's any help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Curt,

That's pretty much what I figured. I might give ebay or Craig's list a shot.

I had a lot of enjoyment with the 800 and at the time it was ahead of the pack.

Ken

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKTVRO

Ken
that time must have been a long time ago.
I've been into CRT for 7 years and people were switching to brighter sharper EM focusing sets as long as I Can remember. AAMOF I helped a firend of mine switch from a B800 to a Marquee 8500.

Personally I couldn't see myself using a blurry old ES set but if you already own it, are fmailiar with the set up, and tubes aren't burnt up then feed it 1080i direct from a Blue ray player with a cheap $50. Fury 1 transcoder and I bet it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKTVRO /forum/post/20255327

Hello Curt,

That's pretty much what I figured. I might give ebay or Craig's list a shot.

Ken

You'll be lucky to clear $50. I never had a Barco 800/801 (I jumped straight to EM sets) but the first real CRT projector I ever saw was a minty 801s and that is what got me hooked on getting a CRT. To give you some sense of the market my current projector is a 1209s (9" EM CRT from 2000) and it cost me $100 on craigslist and that was from two years ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate /forum/post/20262582

You'll be lucky to clear $50. I never had a Barco 800/801 (I jumped straight to EM sets) but the first real CRT projector I ever saw was a minty 801s and that is what got me hooked on getting a CRT. To give you some sense of the market my current projector is a 1209s (9" EM CRT from 2000) and it cost me $100 on craigslist and that was from two years ago.

yeah well You should stop telling this same story a thousand times, those projectors were not working and you build one from 2 bad ones, right? even then you were very lucky, no way I can find a 1209s working with decent tubes under a 1500 usd around here.

if You find me 1209s:s with usable tubes for a 100 usd, I will promise to buy at least five and import them to europe even though it will cost me arm and a leg in shipping and customs. and I would be very very grateful for your help.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawshark /forum/post/20263945

yeah well you should stop telling this same story a thousand times, those projectors were not working and you build one from 2 bad ones, right? If you find me 1209s:s with usable tubes for a 100 usd, i will promise to buy at least five and import them to europe even though it will cost me arm and a leg in shipping and customs. And i would be very very grateful for your help.

LOL, too funny

·
Registered
2,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaWsHaRk /forum/post/20263945

yeah well You should stop telling this same story a thousand times, those projectors were not working and you build one from 2 bad ones, right? even then you were very lucky, no way I can find a 1209s working with decent tubes under a 1500 usd around here.

if You find me 1209s:s with usable tubes for a 100 usd, I will promise to buy at least five and import them to europe even though it will cost me arm and a leg in shipping and customs. and I would be very very grateful for your help.

Yes but then I sold some of the remaining parts and turned a profit so the projectors actually paid me
. And sure they needed work but an Barco 800 probably needs just as much today or soon will. My projectors had decent tubes reds and blueswere 9s, I did replace the green but I am picky. Even with that I still made money on the overall deal.

I have seen/missed one Runco 1100/Barco clone with supposedly minty tubes for $200 and there have been at least a half dozen for $500 or less Runco clones in the last two years and I am not even looking that hard. But you are right those are North American prices. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, the original poster was from North America. The bottom line is, at least here it is not hard to find a decent EM projector for $100-200. Did I get lucky sure, especially two years ago but it doesn't change the price of a 15-20 year old ES focused set.

Send me your email and I'll happily send you any leads I see. I honestly am not actively looking anymore but I haven't even bothered to turn off the various automated alerts I keep for CRT projectors. If one comes my way dirt cheap I'll send the info your way (you are on your own for shipping). I am not in the market for a CRT anymore . When my Runco blows, I'll go digital though I hope that isn't for a few more years (because I am cheap) but I am ready to cut over when it does.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate /forum/post/20266253

sure they needed work but an Barco 800 probably needs just as much today or soon will. .

oh hell yeah, B800 is what , circa 1992.

I know Curt had some things he would do to all BArco 800's before selling them so they had issues even 5 years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts