AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, someone here can help me with this. It's about to make me pull my hair out! :)

I have a Barco 801s Data CRT (thanks, Curt!) and a Silicon Image iScan Pro line-doubler. When the two are connected, I get a near-constant vertical "roll" on the screen; in addition, while this is occurring, the iScan Pro cannot seem to lock onto a signal, as the input lights seem to scan, trying to find a source. If I connect the Barco pj directly to a PC or my HP DEC media player, it works fine.

Some background...

My system consists of a Harmon/Kardon AVR520 Receiver with the following attached:

DirecTiVo SD-DVR40 (S-Video)

Panasonic DVD-RV21 DVD player (Component Video)

RCA DRC232 DVD player (S-Video)

Panasonic VCR (Composite)

The receiver is my "switch" for all the components. It then routes the H/K receiver's component/composite and S-Video monitor outputs to the iScan Pro's inputs. The iScan is then connected to the Barco 801s, using a high-quality HD-15 VGA -> Male RGB/HV cable. I use the Port 4/5 input on the Barco, with all 5 BNC connectors connected.

I've tried the following, to narrow down what's at fault:

1. Connect directly to the pj with an S-Video cable -- WORKS FINE

2. Connect directly to the pj with the VGA -> BNC cable to my HP DEC -- WORKS FINE

3. Connect directly to the pj with the VGA -> BNC cable to my PC -- WORKS FINE

4. Connect to any one of the inputs on the iScan Pro (connected to pj) -- SYNC PROBLEM

5. Connect all inputs of iScan Pro to H/K receiver and select any source -- SYNC PROBLEM

So, it looks like the line-doubler is the problem, to me. My question is whether there is some sync issue that I've uncovered recently by moving some components around and using the component video out from my DVD player. This pj should scan high enough for any of my components, I'd think.

What sync settings should I be using on the iScan Pro for this projector? Right now, I have it set to the default settings (NORMAL for Sync Green and NORMAL for CSync). I have also tried setting CSync on, but it made no apparent difference.

Any ideas or things to try to narrow this down further? I've had hard-to-diagnose issues with this line-doubler before; but, they all "healed" themselves. Before I have to buy another line-doubler, I'd like to exhaust all my options with troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
It is possible that the power supply of the Iscan is bad. Call DVDO in the AM and talk to them, it really sounds like a doubler issue.

Curt

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
are you sure you have the jumpers inside the Iscan properly set? mine came default from the factory RGBHV; had to go inside and switch to synch on green - then it worked fine. would have to get manual to say which jumper, but I imagine you have one anyway.

Dunno what your 801 needs, but Iscan default is not synch on green.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Barco port5 (RGBHV) have sometimes sync problems with some sources. Have you tried port3 (D9) input on your Barco, it`s auto sync input and works much better with lower sync levels. Port3 gives sharper picture and have less noise.

My 801s port5 have identical sync problems with my skyworth dvd-player, port3 was working great. I have to adjust V hold pots (high/low) from vertical deflection board to get port5 sync properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will call Anchor Bay (DVDO) this morning and ask them about it. Miraculously, it started working again last night. This is frustrating....

The iScan Pro is setup to use RGBHV (jumpers J8 and J10 are set to NORMAL). I have tried setting J10 to CSync, but it really made no difference. I believe the 801s does not use Sync on Green, as the DVDO website does not show any special settings for that pj.

I did not even know that Port 3 could be used for feeding the signal from the line-doubler to the pj. Is there somewhere I could get a short female 5-BNC -> female D9 cable, to try this out? It would be very difficult to run another long cable to the pj now since the attic space is very cramped.

Is the Barco 801s notorious for not synching well on Port 5? If so, I wish I'd known....

Is there a website with instructions on best setting up a Barco 801s? I have the installation manual, but it isn't very well-written for a newbie HT person.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MauiBoy
Is the Barco 801s notorious for not synching well on Port 5? If so, I wish I'd known....
No. There should not be any issues with syncing well as long as you're properly configured. Barco's only have the positive/negative sync issue but otherwise seem to work very well... except for the older 800's that still haven't had the macrovision update.

If you're in the DFW area and would like some hands-on help let me know....

Mark

·
Registered
702 Posts
Did you try setting the Iscan to composite sync and just using the H-Sync lead from your RGBHV cable, and leave the V lead disconnected? I did this with my BG800 and it works fine. Actually the H and V sync leads are tied together in my cable, so I had to use C-sync on it anyway.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MauiBoy
I have tried setting J10 to CSync, but it really made no difference. I believe the 801s does not use Sync on Green, as the DVDO website does not show any special settings for that pj.
Did you use port4 (press 4-button to start) for C- and sync on green, port5 is only for RGBHV.

Port3 understand those all formats automatic and accepts positive sync polarity too. Some resolutions may cause problems with positive sync, but some work great.

pinning
http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/port_3.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.