AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking into getting a Barco 808, but I don't want to spend more than $2500($3000 being the absolute max).

I am looking at the 800 and the 801 pjs. I'm told the main advantage to the 808 is the electromagnetic focus, rather than the electrostatic focus on the 801. Can someone explain what electrostatic and electromagnetic are, and what the difference is between them? And with the 808 I could use the extra brightness.

I can get the 801 with only 800 hrs on it, is the 808 worth the extra $$$, assuming I can find it in my price range?

· Registered
1,846 Posts
i never had a 800 or 801

but i had a sony 1272 very colse. i upgraded to a barco 808

and to me it was worth it

a very stable projector

if you find one for around 3,000$$

with good tubes its a bargan

XANATOS

· Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xanatos
i never had a 800 or 801

but i had a sony 1272 very colse. i upgraded to a barco 808

and to me it was worth it

a very stable projector

if you find one for around 3,000$$

with good tubes its a bargan

XANATOS
How was it worth more? Also what is the difference between electrostatic and electromagnetic focus? As a newbie to CRT, I have no idea what these mean, except that electromagnetic is better.

· Registered
3,510 Posts
EM focus can get the beam size smaller.

Think of this as a pencil. The sharper the pencil, the finer you can "draw" detail with it. An ES focus crt pj is like a partially dull pencil, it can throw a big image but the finest detail it's capable of is limited. With EM focus it's like using a really sharp pencil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.