AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was lookin through some threads on the Barco 808 and saw alot of good things said about it.. I was just curious for those of you who have it.. is it a sound machine as in not much maintenance needed once its setup? Also do you run it through any video processing first? and what is setup like, user friendly or requires professionals?

i did read that retubing it is very expensive if you have the sony tubes in it.. I was lookin at one barco 808 from a dealer that they say has a good 7500 hours left on them.. is that realistic or would I be lookin at retubing it quicker than that?

any info would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

chris

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well, I have time again:)

I have owned, and own, several CRT projectors, and my BG808 is

simply amazing. I now have the image I've been wanting for so many

years. I love it. I really do.

Nicholas

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its not so hard setting up. I did some reading before I got the PJ and I could set it up pretty well the first day, it took a couple of days until I had the awesome image I have now. But be sure you have done your homework before attempting an install. Read the manuals a couple of times, read Guy Kuo's install guide and then look in the forum or ask if anything is unclear, then attempt the setup.

The BG808s (with sony tubes) cannot be retubed currently (as far as I know) but it is also a current model and the very best of the 808 series. If you can get one in good shape for a good price than I say go for it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea its definately got its perks.. i like the fact it can fully resolve all hdtv formats.. if i dont get it this time around itll definately be up there on my list.. my projector search has been a long search.. ive looked at so many projectors.. some day ill get one and i can come back here and plan my next projector purchase lol.. it never ends..

one other thing i remembered.. do you happen to know what distance for a floor mount you need to project a 92" diag screen? im just curious if my room is capable of doing it..

again thanks for ur input..

chris

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea its definately got its perks.. i like the fact it can fully resolve all hdtv formats.. if i dont get it this time around itll definately be up there on my list.. my projector search has been a long search.. ive looked at so many projectors.. some day ill get one and i can come back here and plan my next projector purchase lol.. it never ends..

one other thing i remembered.. do you happen to know what distance for a floor mount you need to project a 92" diag screen? im just curious if my room is capable of doing it..

again thanks for ur input..

chris

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for the double post.. actually before i sound like i know nothing.. can it actually full resolve 1080p?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I used to have this posted on my web site and am almost certain that the 808 series could do up to 1080i, but not 1080p. Seems it was only the 1200 and 1209 that could do 1080p due to the retrace time spec. Now that I have a new internet provider I guess I need to put my old web site back up so I can look at it every now and then...

Mark

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'm in the BG808s club as well. As mentioned earlier read the manuals twice (or more). I would also D/L the Barco Lens Program to assist you in determining projection distance and screen size. You could follow Guy Kuo's excellent post on focusing and converging. But if you want to simply get your feet wet, I would follow the guided installation (menu driven setup built into the unit) and two hours later you'll a very decent picture. Once you get comfortable with the "guided installation" as it will take you through a basic setup, you can start the "serious" tweaking like Guy Kuo's Holy Focus post. I feel that video processing in the form of either a scaler of HTPC is a must for the BG808 (and most CRTs for that matter).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Is it essential to have the Service Manual when doing an ISF Calibration on a Retro 808s?

The darn thing (Service Manual on CD from Barco) cost $180.00)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info.. Im also currently looking at the Sony 1272Q... It seems to have about the same specs and is a bit cheaper.. Less lumens and if i remember correctly its 7" vs 8" on the barco.. How important do you feel it is to demo these in person? I live near Home Theater Systems but I think all they have on display are Electrohomes. Hopefully I can try to find a place to view them around here.

Chris

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
The Sony 127x series is nowhere in the same league as the Barco 808. The 1272Q you're considering is in the same league as the Barco 800/801.

Among other things, the 1272/800/801 all have electrostatic focusing while the 808 has electromagnetic which will give you a sharper image.

The 808 is a lot more stable as well and doesn't require quite as long a warm-up period to reach 100% image quality.

Kal

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I talked with the dealer here about a couple of the projectors I was lookin at and he basically recoomended the Electrohome 4100 over the Barco and Sony.. Now them being a Electrohome dealer kinda makes me wonder but Ive been them before and theyve given good opinions.

He stated the reason behind the choice of the electrohome over the others was the fact that they are the oem base for vidikron.. Do you think he is right or just trying to push product that they sell primarily?

Chris

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xris2o0o
I talked with the dealer here about a couple of the projectors I was lookin at and he basically recoomended the Electrohome 4100 over the Barco and Sony.. Now them being a Electrohome dealer kinda makes me wonder but Ive been them before and theyve given good opinions.

He stated the reason behind the choice of the electrohome over the others was the fact that they are the oem base for vidikron.. Do you think he is right or just trying to push product that they sell primarily?

Chris
He's pushing his product or is just generally ignorant of the market.

Yes he's right: Vidikron OEM'ed Electrohome PJ's. But so what?

Runco OEM'ed Barco's and NEC's.

etc, etc.

Most people here would rank these projectors as follows (from worst to best):

Ehome 4xxx (7" ES focus)

Barco 800/801, Sony 12xx (8" ES focus)

Barco 808 (8" EM focus)

Kal

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videogeek
Is it essential to have the Service Manual when doing an ISF Calibration on a Retro 808s?

The darn thing (Service Manual on CD from Barco) cost $180.00)

The Retro 808s service manual is the ONLY 808 series service manual that can be found on the internet...

And as far as I understood (very little to be honest) you don't need it for ISF calibration.

Stefno

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.