AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up (install) a 808s. The projector is floor mounted.

My problem is, i don't know if this is normal or not i'm kind of new to setting these projectors up. I am having several problems with convergence.

1. The grid is severly distorted. It gets VERY wide at the top and fans out, and is squeezed at the bottom, looks like a V shape. Its also curled at the edges, so its not a very straight V.

2. When i go to center the rasters on the crt face in installation mode. The "lit up area" is not a perfect square. Is this how its supposed to be. Right now all the sides are not straight lines, they are all bowed inward. Also is it not possible for me to center the square without having the corners go off the face of the crt. Is this a problem? (this is in installation mode, not setup)

3. The Blue and Green CRTs (though distorted in shape) seem to be distorted the same, the Red however does not match up with these and appears to be rotated, or skewed, so it really doesn't match up. Is this a coil adjustment, and would it be the coil closest to the face of the CRT?

4. I think i have messed up my scheimpflugs, any tips on how to correct these, should i screw them all the way and start over?

5. after centering the rasters in installation mode, the next step of aligning the boxes onto the green box. for some reason the blue always seems a bit lower than the green box, as in it will match up horizontally when i adjust the lense postion, but it will be slightly lower.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like you are in deep. Do you possibly have the projector tilted too much to fit your screen? They are designed to lay flat on a surface or mount flat to the ceiling. If you tilt the projector instead of lowering or raising it to fit your screen, you could be pushing the electronics to there limits. I would make sure that the tilt if any is corrected, then go into the service menu and elect to SET TO MIDPOINT. Then try to get the the Grids lined up the best you can without going into convergence. ie scheimpflugs and coils. When you get them as good as you can, try to converge thru the menu and see if everything begins to line up. Follow the convergence pattern that the projector goes thru, don't jump around on the convergence grid or you will get things out of whack. Hope this helps...Good luck....Steve.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to the Barco club! I've got an 808 which is very similar to yours.

I've only had mine for about 5 months, but I think I can help you with some of your questions. First download the Barco Lens Program (do a search for download sites on this forum or download it from the Barco site.) It shows you the correct distance your pj should be from the screen depending on its size. Also it shows how far off of the floor the screen should be if your pj is on the floor. Don't tilt the pj. Make sure the pj is square tand centered on the screen.

1. Go into the service menu and clear all the memory blocks. This will start you off with a fresh start.

2. Go into installation mode. The grid will be distorted as you describe. The rasters also won't be square and may fall unto the sides of the crt at this point. This isn't a problem at this point.

3. You are correct that you might have to rotate the deflection yoke on the red crt to get the lines horizontal. The deflection yoke is directly behind the crt face. I loosened mine up with the pj off enough so that I could rotate it freely and then tightened it up again with the pj off. Don't overtighten as you can break the neck of the crt.

5. Move the crosshairs in the crt alignment setup by adjusting the horizontal and the vertical trimmers. Do a search on this forum. This has been discussed a lot.

As I said a lot of this has been disussed already. Search under Barco setup and I'm sure you'll find a lot of help.

DougK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, i adjusted the coils on the CRT necks, and go everything to line up pretty good. The projector is not angled at all, its flat on the floor. However i'm still having this bow problem. The projected grid is a curved V shape, its better than before but still very noticable. Wide at the top, narrows at the bottom. I was trying to fool around with the schiempflugs but having no luck, anyone have any tips for adjusting these?

~edit~ also, everything is set to midpoint and all blocks set to default

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its at the correct height according to the barco lens program.

the projector is all setup physically with the screen, as far as position. The problem i'm having is that the geometry of the grid is distorted when everything is set to the defaults, and set to midposition.

the grid is wide at the top, and narrows at the bottom. Any ideas where i should start?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi,

The grid will be distorted as you describe in the installation menu. Go to the random access menu and select "geometry". There you will find the East-West and North-South selections to straighten out your grid. Then go to the "convergance" selection in the random menu and converge your red and blue to the green.

By the way what source will you or are you using. Its best to either converge to a grid (Avia, Nokia, Aligner) supplied by your source or select genlocked pattern which is an interally generated crosshatch locked onto the frequency generated by your external source.

DougK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.