AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm using an HTPC with an ATI Radeon 9700. Connection to Barco BD 808s is through port 3. I just use the ATI software to run at [email protected] Things look pretty good. Wondering if this is as good as it gets or if I can squeak more out of it using Powerstrip or other software programs.

Is there another 808s user out there that has found a "sweetspot" resolution?

Any other tips with the 808s and HTPC's?

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
1280 x 720P works very well.

Terry

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a BG808s and using a HTPC with a GeForce3 Ti-200 64MB running [email protected]

Works yust fine for me, but i have only had the pj for 1 week, and havent had the time to mount it permanently in the ceiling...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
1280 x 720P works very well.

Terry
Thats what I run for both HD Sat and scaled DVD. Although I have a BG808s

·
Registered
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zicronix
I have a BG808s and using a HTPC with a GeForce3 Ti-200 64MB running [email protected]
That's about 167Mhz video bandwidth...waaay too much for the 808s is 75Mhz!!

Try running [email protected] (or 60Hz, but even that's over the 75Hz limit).

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
According to the c r t cinema projector specs Barco Data 808, Graphics 808, and Data 808s all have 75 MHz bandwidth. The Graphics 808s has 120 MHz.

secstate

Edit: I just noticed that the same page says the Barco 1208s has 7" tubes so maybe we should take their specs with a grain of salt....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmmm, think i'm used to the standard CRT monitor, that doesent show anything abowe it's specs...

how do you calculate the bandwidth?

what will [email protected] be? or 70Hz ?

i wan't to use a 4:3 screen, as i will use the Pj for a lot of 4:3 stuff

·
Registered
620 Posts
1280 x 1024 x 60 x 1,5 ~ 118Mhz

·
Registered
61 Posts
In bandwidth calculations you have to take into account the "front porch" and "back porch" for both the horizontal and vertical resolutions. That's what the 1.5 is for: it's a rough estimator of the actual resolution with porches. I think that's a little high, and should actually be about 1.3.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still a little confused about the resolution numbers game. Seems there are diferring opinions on what's best. Using Powerstrip I tried some of the suggested res's and few locked on my machine. Don't know why. I can get 1600x1200 @54 to lock and it looks great on the desctop and DVDs too.

It would seem the "higher the better" with this thing but for reasons I don't fully understand that may not be the case. Anyway, some of the higher #'s seem to work and look good so I have to go with that for now. Still I wonder if I'm doing it right.

If someone reads this in the future and is experienced in tweaking the BD808s with a Radeon 9700 and Powerstrip, please post here or PM your phone or email to me. If you wouldn't mind a little personal guidance that is.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Squinty
In bandwidth calculations you have to take into account the "front porch" and "back porch" for both the horizontal and vertical resolutions. That's what the 1.5 is for: it's a rough estimator of the actual resolution with porches. I think that's a little high, and should actually be about 1.3.
Checked this in powerstrip yesterday, and found that using 1.35 was the right number here ;)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:
It would seem the "higher the better" with this thing but for reasons I don't fully understand that may not be the case.
Actually, lower is better....or at least medium is better since there is less stress on electronics and no overlaps. Very sharp at 540p-768p for me.

Brian

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, no overlap, I get that now. Less stress is good for everyone. :p

Could you be more specific on your resolution? ?? x 540p-768p @ ??hz

Chuchuf mentioned 1280 x 720p. At what frequency?

Isn't there a "string" you can copy and paste into Powerstrip that would allow me to duplicate someones settings. That would be great if someone has a good string to use with a Barco 808s.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
At various points I have used 960X540, 1080X540, 1280X720, 1280X768 at 60hz and 72hz. The latter typically being best for dvd and I have settled in on 1280X720 whereas I also like 1080X540 a lot. Just go to advanced settings in power strip and custom resolutions to define new ones.

Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.