AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Barco 1208/2 that is ceiling mounted in a 12'x11' room. I've mounted it so far back that I can no longer open the internal remote! Unfortunately I'm still unable to get the screen size I would like, even with the horizontal and vertical geometry set all the way up.

I'd like to have an 85" x 48" screen but am only getting about 70" width when projecting a 16:9 video. Are there short-throw lenses for the Barco projectors that I could use?

I've also considered moving to a wall-mount configuration with a mirror to give another 7' or so of throw distance. I'd prefer not doing that, however, since it would take another foot of seating space in an already tight configuration. It would also situate the lenses horizontally where dust would accumulate on them.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Only question is how much of the raster are you using? On my 1270Q, I had to do a good bit of tweaking in powerstrip to cover my screen. I was getting about 80" and needed 96".

If you're using all of the raster, I can't imagine there's much else you can do, aside form knocking a hole in the wall. :( Also, you might try to angle the screen a LITTLE bit to minimize the amount of keystoning necessary. Obviously, this too would increase your effective raster size.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though I have the geometry settings at the max, I believe I still have some phosphor around the edges of the tubes to spare. I'll play with Powerstrip to see what I can do with it. However, I would suppose that increasing the phosphor area on the tubes after maxing out the geometry would be a tube neck or controller board tweak.

Before somebody flogs me... I know that running the image onto the edge of the tube is a no-no. I'll be careful with my adjustments.

Thanks nrubenstein! Did you ever get your 1270Q up to 96"?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Walker,

I can't answer the questions about lenses, but I can tell you that you're not using all the phosphor available on the tubes. Don't set it up to fit the raster within the phosphor, but rather the image within, with 1/8"-1/4" of safety margin at the narrowest points.

Doing this should squeeze out a good 80"x45" screen size (depending on how much longer the 1208 is than my BG800). The 70" width you currently have is way too small. But you are correct that you won't be able to get 85" wide out of it without different lenses, or room extension technology. ;)

- Tim

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was able to use powerstrip to get it past 100". This, however started running the image into the sides of the tubes. 90" was the greatest safe size i was able to attain. I certainly can't complain. :)

You'll find what you need in the advanced timing options screen. Increasing the width will also increase the refresh rate, so I recommend a vertical squeeze to bring the refresh back under control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.