Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just finnished a full install in a dedicated HT room for a friend in which I used a New Barco Cine 7.

Let me say first, that for this kind of money (around 10k usd) this thing is hard to fault.

Ok it has minus and plus points (like most products I guess). Minus, lets see, electrostatic focus rather than magnetic is one.

The plus side? how about colour filtered lenses which even my 808s doesen't have.

All in all very good value for money.

I think (for this kind of budget) the Dwinn is the only 7" PJ that can give this thing a run for its money.

Seleco goodbye.

Eric

·
Registered
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptyen
If I have to choose again between new Cine 7 and used sony g70, I'll still choose g70 plus savings of 30% of your money for cine.
If you compare new and used, obviously the used item will look like a better deal.

The thing is some people do not want to buy used. Especially true for people who walk into a store and order a full home theater setup, professionally installed.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bryan is right of course. Used good condition CRT's are great value for money. Especially G70's and 808 Barco's.

However GOOD used ones are not that easy to come by.

Also, as Bryan again touched upon, a 'non' enthusiast looking for a complete set up with no head ache will, 9 times out of 10 prefer new rather than used equipement.

Eric

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't think you can buy it all in the U.S. except through Runco which makes it unattractive price-wise for sagacious forum members.

I don't know about Canada at all. But Runco has distribution there too so I'd be inclined to doubt it.

I

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree. The Barco Cine 7 is a very fine performer. You can see my review of it here:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/0103.html

I have also reviewed the Barco Cine 6 and the Barco Cine 8 (going on line soon). The overall image from the Barco line is very consistent although interestingly only the Cine 7 has colour filtered lenses.

I own a DWIN projector which exceeds the specs on the Cine 7 in key areas (not the least of which is zero fan noise), but overall the Cine 7 remains one of the finest projected images I have ever seen in my home.

It is a reference standard for the 7" CRT class.

Max Christoffersen
www.audioenz.co.nz

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Max,

Never seen a Cine6 but Cine8 and Cine MAX both have colour filtered lenses

Gordon

·
Registered
861 Posts
Unless they have been updated recently Gordon they don't.

I'm looking at the Barco Cine range catalogue chart as I type: specifically the Cine 7 does have colour filtered lenses the other two (Cine 6 and Cine 8) don't. I have got a chart for the Cine Max somewhere, but amongst the recent room refurbishment mess, looks like it's gone west..hell of a good name for a projector tho don't you think?.. :>)

Max Christoffersen
www.audioenz.co.nz

·
Registered
89 Posts
Isn't there a reliability problem machinewise on Barco PJ's? I often hear friends here talking about frequent encountering of small electronic problems(like blowout, electronics board instabilities, minor shorting etc) . I was about to buy a Cine 7, which is THE only popular PJ here now, but then many persuaded me to buy a Sony for its reliability and excellent PQ.

Just my 2 cents and hearsay. Don't flame me Barco guys!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PtYen,

Lucky you said don't flame me. I had my flamer on stun right away.

Seriously, I think most Barco owners (Including myself - used 808s) find them to be on the whole reliable and easy to live with.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. One day in the near future, Barco will probably be the only company still manufacturing CRT's.

Any comments from other Barco owners?

Eric

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I installed a ten year old barco 600 in a bar. It thas been running for 1 year in there, for 14 hrsa day-7days a week, without being touched (three alighnment tweaks, usually if I happened to be walking by). I'd say they are pretty stable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know Barco will be the last standing flame in CRT world and I respect Barco! At least it is quite popular here and the Barco PJ's are mounted virtually every decent AV shop! Some say that the microstructural eye pigment differences between Caucasians and Mongolians may influence the color perception differently. So the analogy goes like this, The Japanese made PJ may be more comfortable for the Asian iris! This is also hearsay as usual and should anyone confront me with arguments, I'll disavow everything.

this remark will be in spontaneous combustion mode in 5 seconds!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
"Some say that the microstructural eye pigment differences between Caucasians and Mongolians may influence the color perception differently. So the analogy goes like this, The Japanese made PJ may be more comfortable for the Asian iris!"

Very, very interesting. Like Goldilocks, I've always thought the Sony images were a touch cool (lots of flame wars over this) and the Barco images a bit hot (at least from the Runco adaptations I've recently seen). But the NEC projector colors always seemed just right.

NECs are Japanese though, too, so there goes that theory.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ptyen,

Wow, I learn something new every day on this forum.

As I am of Turkish origin what projector would you recommend for my ottoman eyesight :rolleyes:

Eric

·
Registered
89 Posts
Turkey, I guess has something to do with Zinghisghan in ancient times, so more of on Mongolian side. Zinghisghan, BTW is authentic THE Mongolian Emperor! Just look into your eyes on the mirror to see if yours are like those of Zinghisghan! And choose your PJ accordingly!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Forgot to mention to PF.

I and many friends feel the opposite perception of color. Sony--warm; Barco--cool. I don't know if my myopic eyes with glasses would affect the color perception. Gotta see my opthalmologist soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.