AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a new Barco Cine6 in Australia. I am wondering anyone has experienced with Barco Cine7. Would the difference in picture quality of Cine7 worth extra $A6000 or $US3000 ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Vincent,

The cine 6 is a video projector; no data, you can display maximum vga so It depends for what you are going to use it: The Cine7 is multimedia compatible (up to 69khz I think); so HDTV, HTPC, digital camera, computersources, DVD... different formats can be displayed. The Cine 6 is not fully HDTV compatible for example. So in that view the 7 is a more future proof pj.

When you only display a video source the difference will be minor; when displaying DVD,.. the difference will be bigger.

With is also good es that a Cine 7 comes with line doubler, tripler and quadrupler, a Cine 6 can only double so that's a big point already. Big differences are also the higher light output, higher resolution, better colors and the sharper image (correct me if I am wrong).

So my vote goes out to the Cine7.

For me it is worth the difference but you have to decide for ourself if it's worth the extra money.

Hope this helps you.

S

·
Registered
392 Posts
The Cine 6 goes up tp 38kHz scan rate so it will do 1080i (33kHZ) but not 720P or 1080P. The best you can do is 600x800 which is good enougt for a 7 inch CRT in 16x9 mode, no 72/75 or 100/120 Hz though!

I have a Cine 7 but I have to say the Cine 6 is still a very good pj.

The linedoubler or multiplier the Barcos come with are no good. If you can get them without these your better off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all your reply. Roland, do you think that buying a Cine7 without its doubler and use iscan pro line doubler instead would yield a better picture quality?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The Cine 7 can be equipped with the LimoPro multiplier, when the Cine6 is normally already equipped with the same feature as default (limited to the 2x capability, of course, due the fact that it will work at no more than 38 Khz).

Do not underevaluate the differences in terms of image quality, anyway. If you can spend the required difference in $, keep thinking about the Cine7, IMO.

Concerning the scaler, I'd buy a Cine7 without the LimoPro option. I'd use an HTPC as the best possible source... in any case, even the IscanPRO will give better results, IMO.

Romano

·
Registered
392 Posts
Although I have never seen an Iscan in action I bet it yould beat the BARCO LIDO which doesen't even have inverse 3:2 pulldown!

For the money you save when you take the pj without LIDO or even LIMO PRO you can buy a nice scaler or HTPC and get a much better result.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cine6 comes with linedoubler.... and given were a PAL country, we don't need 3:2 pull down except for the odd NTSC DVD you might import. So for many australians the LIDO is not that bad in PAL mode.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
So for many australians the LIDO is not that bad in PAL mode.
You are right in that the BARCO LIDO does perform much better with PAL material than with NTSC (it's a european product after all).

If your are watching mainly PAL sources you might actually be satisfied with its performance.

I use the LIDO only for my LDs which are all NTSC :(

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
AFAIK the LIDO is not poduced anymore (discontinued). All the Barco newer models (for HT purposes) can be equipped with the LimoPro option, in particular, the Cine6 comes already equipped with it (working only at 2x).

If it is feeded a signal at 15 khz on the Cine6, the LimoPro is automatically activated, in the other cases, (at greater frequencies, until 38 khz), it is automatically bypassed so, it's very easy, to use whatever line doubler you want. In any case the pj will not display any interlaced image.

I aggree on the fact that it would be better to buy the Cine7 without the LimoPro, saving money to buy an external line multiplier. The Cine7 produces a quite good image at 3x (NTSC or PAL...)

just an opinion

Romano

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.