AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I adjust the red and blue cross hairs to match green, is there a vertical adjustment for the red and blue crts. Loosening the required bolts seems too allow a horizontal adjustment only. Both my red and blue crts are pointing lower than the green tube.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi John

There are internal pots for vertical adjustment of the rasters.

I don't have a picture of where they are located, but I think Cousin.It has posted them before.

You may want to PM him.

Mark

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark,

Spent about 3 hrs on it today and it basically kicked my *ss. I can vertically adjust the rasters through the projector's software, but it doesn't effect the cross hairs, and it doesn't seem to effect my ability to converge the tubes. (Does that make sense?) If I go into convergence I can get red on green converged but the blue is too far off. I haven't hung it yet and done all the geometry, so maybe when that's done it will give me a little more leeway.

I'm new to this and may be totally missing something, but I don't know why the blue and red tubes are pointing so much lower than the green. I talked to the fellow who sold me the projector and he said they weren't that far off. He also said I should be able to fix it by moving the rasters.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi John,

There are pots on the Vertical Defelction board. Its the third (sandwich) board from the left, when standing behind table mount, next to the big black aluminium cooling block. On the main board you will find next to the little white connector pots for B V-Shift, R V-shift, B V-Size and R V-Size.

You need to align the rasters with these pots, while the first converge block for R and B are set to 49 both V and H.

There are also pots for shifting the rasters Horizontally. They are on the left most board, which is covered with a piece of plastic. In the plastic there is a small opening through which you can easily access two pots, R H-Shift and B H-Shft. All pots are color coded, so it should be relatively easy.

Also make sure (when adjusting the CRT toe-in) that the image on all three CRT's is exactly in the middle of the CRT's fosfor. Very important!

Reinier

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU!!

I'm feeling much better about this project. :) My cross hairs are aligned. Even with a quick optical focus and convergence I have a great picture.

I have another thread concerning the throw distance and although I've gotten pretty much the same advise from everyone (display DVD image-fill screen width by moving projector-measure distance from screen to projector)........I'm still not sure what image to display to fill the width of my screen. If I select 1.85 on the Transcanner it's displays a different width than 2.35. Changing the resolution will give me a different width. 960 was suggested for the 1209. If I display HD from Dish (pass through) at 1080I I get another width. (Wider). I'm getting a new Lumagen scaler in a month or so. Someone said resolution settings on a Transcanner are not the same as resolutions on other scalers.

I've got the Genie Lift for the weekend and given that this projector weighs about what my old Chevy Sprint use to way, I really only want to do this once. So...........exactly what image am I suppose to use?

Sorry for being such a newbie.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi,

The biggest 'area' you want to fill with an image is the full 16*9 area. This is probably also the screen format you are going to use, as does 99% of the people here. So this should be the starting point.

Project an 16*9 grid image (form a test DVD such as (digital) Video Essentials, or if you use a PC as a source, use Nokia Monitor Test Patterns) and make the image as wide as possible while staying on the phosphor. You can go as near the edge as of the phosphor as much as 0,5 cm. That is the safe area I use. You want to use as much phosphor as possible.

You might want to think about this. Usually on a DVD (or on a HD-TV broadcast) the image does not fill the entire display area, it usually leaves a couple of pixels unused. In order to have your screen always be completely filled with an image, you make the image a bit larger that your screen, say 2%, and blank this area out. 2% means half a 'block' on Nokia, or on Digital Video Essentials there are special test patterns which show the 2% area in a test pattern. Very handy, so if you don't have a test disk now, get one before you hang up the PJ.

When you have blanked out the additional 2%, you can actually increase your picture size, to compensate for the additional unused phosphor. So the projector moves closer again.

If you mention the width of your screen, then we can tell you what distance and difference in height between the projector and the top/bottom of the screen. Eg for a 2.40m screen, the distance is 3.20m and you have a negative ceiling height of about 20cm.

After you have started with a 16*9 screen, you will see that all DVD's playback fine, including 2.35 movies. And now you can adjust other sources to your screen size, and you are finished. You can adjust the with for every different source (read: scan frequency) independently of each other, as the projector will store the new values in a different memory block.

Reinier

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Reinier.

The lenses say HD10. I was told they are HD10GT17. I have been unable to get a definitive answer on the PD distance or "A" (ceiling height). If you can help me out, that would be great.

My screen is a 16/9 107 inches wide. (2.718m).

Regard,

John

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
DORMIE,

I have the BARCO LENSE program and it will tell you and show you the measurments to install your projector at. If you send me an email Ill send you a copy of the program. I downloaded it from some website and you can to. I just dont remember where I got it from. I bet you can do a search for the fiel on here by looking for

BARCO LENSE PROGRAM. It may be easier to just email me and Ill send it to you .

Vic
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Vic,

I tried the program. If you go into the lens program it won't give you any dimensions for a 16/9 107 inch wide screen with HD10 lenses on a 1209s. Says the screen is too wide. (unless I'm missing something)

I have the projector sitting on a table right now, it's not square or centered and it seems to fill the screen just fine.

If you know anything else about this please let me know.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi John,

I don't have the lens program here, but try HD-300 that is the 'new' name for HD 10 lenses. I have lenses with a HD-300 label on them. Underneath this label is a label which says HD-10 lens.

Reinier.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, sounds like a plan. The specs on the two lenses do seem to be the same.

I forgot about resolution. When you're using the the test DVD. Will not the image width vary with whatever resolution you're using. So do you need to decide on what resolution you're going to use first?

Regards,

John

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi John,

I think you are missing something here.

Phosphor use is not related to resolution or source. It can be adjusted for every resolution or source individually. Just maximize phosphor use for all resolutions and sources.

So it doesn't really matter for which source you first determine maximum phosphor use. You simply adjust the other resolutions also.

Phosphor use is only determined bij the distance between the projector and the projection screen.

But you can use these resoltions: DVD 1440*960, HD 1280*270 and 1920*1080i.

Good luck,

Reinier

·
Registered
314 Posts
1280 x 270 ? ;-)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Resolutions do affect raster size. !!!

If you aim at maximising the raster during installation, make sure you allow enough room for higher frequencies, or at least you fill the entire screen at the most watched resolution.

Regards

Tiger.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got it hung today.....but it's obvious this isn't going to be easy. The projector is level and I think it's centered and pretty square.........but things just aren't looking right. First, the geometry seems too distorted, keystone, bows, etc. Difficult to straighten out and converge. I'm at the end of too many adjustment ranges. Second, I can't get the picture to the top of the screen without running out of room on the CRT Face. Picture is also too far to the right and I'm again running out of room on the CRT Face to center the picture.

ARGH.

·
Registered
549 Posts
John

What's the history of your projector? Used...new?

Sounds like the magnets on the CRTs may need to be adjusted?

You might benefit from having a professional installer help you out.

Regards

Mark

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Mark,

The projector is used. It's actually a very nice projector with no wear. I bought it from a respected dealer who frequents this forum. I'm hesitant to say who because I think my incompetence more than anything is probably causing most of my problems. Anyway, the projector worked fine when he had it so unless something happened during shipping it's probably operator error.

I did back the resolution down which helped a lot. First thing I need to do is spend some time with it. I have a lot to learn.

Quote:
You might benefit from having a professional installer help you out.
That's an understatement. :) Actually, that has always been my long term goal. Assuming I can find such a person. For now I was hoping to get it reasonably setup (learning as much as I can) and then have a professional installer give me the last 10%. Right now it would be about 40%. :(

Thanks for your thoughts,

Regards,

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.